Jean D. Kabongo
Jean D. Kabongo is a professor of strategic management and entrepreneurship in the School of Marketing and Innovation. He primarily teaches on the Sarasota-Manatee campus. Prior to joining USF in 2010, he was an assistant professor at Millersville University of Pennsylvania. He also taught at Virginia State University.
His current research focuses on the analysis and promotion of sustainable practices in organizations, sustainable entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship education in developing economies. His recent papers have been published in the Journal of Business Ethics, Business Strategy & the Environment, the International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management, the Journal of the World Business, the International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research and the Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development.
Kabongo earned a PhD in management from the Université Laval, Canada; an MBA from the Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico City and a bachelor's degree from the Institut Saint Augustin in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Kabongo, J., & Okpara, J. (2019). Timing and speed of internationalization: Evidence from African Banks. Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.05.003
- Kabongo, J. (2019). Sustainable development and research and development intensity in U.S. manufacturing firms. Business Strategy and the Environment 28(4), 556–566. DOI: 10.1002/bse.2264
- Kabongo, J. (2019, in press). Twenty years of the Journal of African Business: A bibliometric
analysis. Journal of African Business. DOI: 10.1080/15228916.2019.1580976
This article was selected to be part of a book published by Routledge.
- Okpara, J., & Kabongo, J. (2017). The effect of cross-cultural training on expatriates adjustment: Evidence from an emerging African economy. Journal of Management Development 36 (9), 1114–1124. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-09-2016-0166
- Kabongo, J., & Boiral, O. (2017). Doing more with less: Building dynamic capabilities for eco-efficiency. Business Strategy and the Environment. DOI: 10.1002/bse.1958
- Lakshman, C., Ramaswani, A., Alas, R., Kabongo, J., & Pandian, J.R. (2014). Ethics trumps culture? A cross-national study of CSR perceptions regarding employee downsizing. Journal of Business Ethics 125(1), 101–119. DOI: 10.1007/s10551-013-1907-8.
- Kabongo, J., & Okpara, J. (2014). ICT possession among Congolese SMEs: An exploratory study. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 21(2), 313–326. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-10-2013-0143
- Kabongo, J., Chang, K., & Li, Y. (2013). The impact of operational diversity on corporate philanthropy: An empirical study of U.S. companies. Journal of Business Ethics 116(1), 49–65. DOI: 10.1007/s10551-012-1445-9.
- Okpara, J., & Kabongo, J. (2011). Cross-cultural training adjustment: A study of Western expatriates in Nigeria. Journal of World Business 46(1), 22-30. DOI: 10.1016/j.jwb.2010.05.014
- Kabongo, J., & McCaskey, P.H. (2011). An examination of entrepreneurship educator profiles in business programs in the United States. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 18(1), 27–42. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626001111106415
- Kabongo, J., & Boiral, O. (2011). Creating value with wastes: A model and typology of sustainability within firms. Business Strategy and the Environment 20(7), 441–455.
- Kabongo, J. (2010). Strategic challenges of creating value with wastes: What’s inside residual materials reclamation? International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management 2(2), 184–203.
- Kabongo, J., & Okpara, J. (2010). Entrepreneurship education in sub-Saharan African Universities. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research 16(4), 296–308.
- Okpara, J., & Kabongo, J. (2010). Export barriers and internationalization: Evidence from SMEs in an emergent African economy. International Journal of Business and Globalisation 5(2), 169–187.
- Okpara, J., & Kabongo, J. (2010). Corporate governance in a developing economy: A study of barriers and issues in Nigeria. SAM Advanced Management Journal 75(3), 41–51.
- Kabongo, J., & Okpara, J. (2009). Does legal origin explain differences in regulations of business entry? A study of sub-Saharan African countries. African Journal of Business and Economic Research 4(2/3), 8–24.
- Okpara, J., & Kabongo, J. (2009). Entrepreneurial export orientation, strategy, and performance of SMEs in an emergent African economy. African Journal of Business and Economic Research 4(2 & 3), pp. 34–54.
- Kabongo, J., & Okpara, J. (2009). Are higher education institutions in sub-Saharan African Africa seeking to make students more enterprising? African Journal of Business and Economic Research 4(1), 57–72.
- Okpara, J., & Kabongo, J. (2009). An empirical evaluation of barriers hindering the growth of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in a developing economy. African Journal of Business and Economic Research 4(1), 7–21.
- Okpara, J., & Kabongo, J. (2009). The entrepreneurial export orientation and performance of small firms in a developing economy. International Journal of Globalisation and Small Business 3(3), 288–305.
- Kabongo, J. (2005). Intégrer écologie et économie: une étude de cas dans l’industrie canadienne. VertigO 6(1). Online Peer-Reviewed Journal. www.uqam/vertigo
- Boiral, O., & Kabongo, J. (2004). Le management des savoirs au service de l’écologie industrielle. Revue Française de Gestion 30(149), 173–191.