Sunil Mithas is a World Class Scholar and professor with the School of Information Systems and Management. Mithas has taught at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland and has held visiting positions at the University of Mannheim in Germany and in the Graduate School of Management at the University of California, Davis.
He is the author of the books "Digital Intelligence: What Every Smart Manager Must Have for Success in an Information Age" and "Dancing Elephants and Leaping Jaguars: How to Excel, Innovate, and Transform Your Organization the Tata Way." Identified as an MSI Young Scholar by the Marketing Science Institute, Mithas is a frequent speaker at industry events for senior leaders. He has worked on research or consulting assignments with organizations such as A.T. Kearney, Ernst & Young, Johnson & Johnson, the Social Security Administration and the Tata Group.
He earned his PhD from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and an engineering degree from IIT, Roorkee.
- Saldanha, T., Mithas, S., Khuntia, J., Whitaker, J. W., and Melville, N. P. 2022. "How Green IT Standards and Strategies Influence Performance: Role of Environment, Cost and Dual Focus," MIS Quarterly (Forthcoming)
- Mithas, S., Chen, Y., Lim, Y., and Silveira, A. D. O. 2022. "On Causality and Plausibility of Treatment Effects in Operations Management Research," Production and Operations Management (Forthcoming)
- Mithas, S., Chen, Y., Liu, C., and Han, K. 2022. "Are Foreign and Domestic Information Technology Professionals Complements or Substitutes?," MIS Quarterly (Forthcoming)
- Rahmati, P., Tafti, A., Mithas, S., & Krishnan, M. S. (2022). How Human Resource and IS Practices Amplify the Returns on IT Investments. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Forthcoming
- Mithas, S., Chen, Z.-L., Saldanha, T., and Silveira, A. D. O. 2022. "How Will Artificial Intelligence and Industry 4.0 Emerging Technologies Transform Operations Management? ," Production and Operations Management (Forthcoming)
- Saldanha, T., Mariadoss, B. J., Wu, M., and Mithas, S. 2021. "How Information and Communication Technology Shapes the Influence of Culture on Innovation: A Country-level Analysis," Journal of Management Information Systems (38:1), pp. 108-139
- Rahmati, P., Tafti, A., Mithas, S., and Sachdev, V. 2021. "How Does Positioning of Information Technology Firms in Strategic Alliances Influence Returns to R&D Investments?," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (22:2), pp. 383-417
- Xue, L., Mithas, S., and Ray, G. 2021. "Commitment to IT investment plans: The interplay of real earnings management, IT decentralization and corporate governance," MIS Quarterly (45:1), pp. 193-224
- Khuntia, J., Mayya, R., Mithas, S., and Agarwal, R. 2021. "Managing Cellphone Services for Customer Satisfaction: Evidence from the Base-of-the-Pyramid Markets," Production and Operations Management (30:2), pp. 418-450
- Saldanha, T., Lee, D., and Mithas, S. 2020. "Aligning Information Technology and Business: The Differential Effects of Alignment During Investment Planning, Delivery, and Change," Information Systems Research (31:4), pp.1260-1281
- Mithas, S., Hofacker, C., Bilgihan, A., Dogru, T., Bogicevic, V., and Sharma, A. 2020. "Information Technology and Baumol’s Cost Disease in Healthcare Services? A Research Agenda," Journal of Service Management (31:5), pp. 911-937
- Morgeson, F. V., Hult, G. T. M., Mithas, S., Keiningham, T. L., and Fornell, C. 2020. "Turning Complaining Customers into Loyal Customers: Moderators of the Complaint Handling – Customer Loyalty Relationship," Journal of Marketing (84:5), pp. 79-99.
- Saldanha, T., Sahaym, A., Mithas, S., Andrade Rojas, M. G., Kathuria, A., and Lee, H.-H. 2020. "Turning Globalization Liabilities Into Assets: IT-enabled Social Integration Capacity and Exploratory Innovation," Information Systems Research (31:2), pp. 361-382
- Park, Y., and Mithas, S. 2020. "Organized Complexity of Digital Business Strategy: A Configurational Perspective," MIS Quarterly (44:1), pp. 85-127
- Kude, T., Mithas, S., Schmidt, C. T., and Heinzl, A. 2019. "How Pair Programming Influences Team Performance: The Role of Backup Behavior, Shared Mental Models, and Task Novelty," Information Systems Research (30:4), pp. 1145-1163
- Whitaker, J., Mithas, S., and Liu, C.-W. 2019. "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder: Toward a Contextual Understanding of Compensation for IT Professionals Within and Across Geographies," Information Systems Research (30:3), pp. 892-911
- Sharma, P. N., Morgeson, F., Mithas, S., and Aljazzaf, S. 2018. "An Empirical and Comparative Analysis of E-Government Performance Measurement Models: Model Selection via Explanation, Prediction, and Parsimony," Government Information Quarterly (35:4), pp. 515-535
- Foerderer, J., Kude, T., Mithas, S., and Heinzl, A. 2018. "Does Platform Owner's Entry Crowd Out Innovation? Evidence from Google Photos," Information Systems Research (29:2) ), pp. 444-460 (Winner of the “ISR Best Published Paper Award 2018”)
- Khuntia, J., Saldanha, T., Mithas, S., and Sambamurthy, V. 2018. "Information Technology and Sustainability: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Production and Operations Management (27:4), pp. 756-773
- Huang, P., Tafti, A., and Mithas, S. 2018. "The secret to successful knowledge seeding," MIT Sloan Management Review (59:3), pp. 10-13, https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/the-secret-to-successful-knowledge-seeding/
- Founder and co-chair, Digital Innovations, Transformation and Society Conference at the India Habitat Center in New Delhi, 2018
- Program committee member, INFORMS Conference on Information Systems and Technology, 2018
- Faculty mentor, Service Science Section, PhD Consortium at INFORMS Annual Meeting, 2018
- Session chair and discussant, WISE Conference, 2018