Sunil Mithas is a World Class Scholar and Professor at the Muma College of Business at the University of South Florida. He also serves as the director of rankings and reputation at the Muma College of Business. Previously, Mithas was the Ralph J. Tyser Professor of Information Systems at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, where he served as associate chair, and co-directed two centers namely the Center for Digital Innovation, Technology and Strategy; and the Center for Excellence in Service. He is a visiting professorial fellow at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) Business School, Sydney, and has held visiting positions at the University of California, Davis; the UNSW; the University of Mannheim; and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong.
Identified as an MSI Young Scholar by the Marketing Science Institute, Mithas is a Distinguished Fellow of the Information Systems Society of INFORMS. He ranks among the foremost information systems scholars in the world. He is the author of two books. His research published in top journals and conferences has won multiple best-paper awards, and has been featured in practice-oriented publications such as MIT Sloan Management Review, Management Business Review, and Bloomberg. Mithas serves as a senior editor of MIS Quarterly and a department editor of Production and Operations Management, and as an editorial board member at the Journal of Management Information Systems. Earlier he served on the editorial board of Information Systems Research.
He has consulted and conducted research with a range of organizations including A.T. Kearney, EY, Johnson & Johnson, the U.S. Social Security Administration, U.S. Census Bureau, and the Tata Group. He is a frequent keynote speaker in corporate and academic settings. Mithas had a decade-long successful career in the corporate world in engineering, marketing, and general management positions before he dedicated himself to an academic career. He earned his PhD from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and an engineering degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee.
- Liu, C.-W., Mithas, S., and Saldanha, T. J. V. (2023). Do Technology Resources Influence Income Mobility? The Role of Regional and Caste Spillovers from Computer Ownership. MIS Quarterly, Conditional Acceptance
- Kude, T., Foerderer, J., Mithas, S., & Heinzl, A. (2023). How Deadline Orientation and Architectural Modularity Influence Software Quality and Job Satisfaction. Journal of Operations Management, 69(6), 941-964. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joom.1230
- Pan, Y., Mithas, S., Hsieh, J. J. P.-A., & Liu, C.-W. (2023). Do Risk Preferences Shape the Effect of Online Trading on Trading Frequency, Volume, and Portfolio Performance? Journal of Management Information Systems, 40(2), 440-469. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07421222.2023.2196777
- Malgonde, O., Saldanha, T., & Mithas, S. (2023). Resilience in the Open Source Software Community: How Pandemic and Unemployment Shocks Influence Contributions to Others’ and One’s Own Projects. MIS Quarterly, 47(1), 361-389. https://misq.umn.edu/resilience-in-the-open-source-software-community-how-pandemic-and-unemployment-shocks-influence-contributions-to-others-and-one-s-own-projects.html
- Mithas, S., Chen, Y., Lim, Y., & Silveira, A. D. O. (2022). On Causality and Plausibility of Treatment Effects in Operations Management Research. Production and Operations Management, 31(12), 4558-4571. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/poms.13863
- Saldanha, T., Mithas, S., Khuntia, J., Whitaker, J. W., & Melville, N. P. (2022). How Green IT Standards and Strategies Influence Performance: Role of the Environment, Cost and Dual Focus. MIS Quarterly, 46(4), 2367-2386.
- Mithas, S., Chen, Z.-L., Saldanha, T., & Silveira, A. D. O. (2022). How Will Artificial Intelligence and Industry 4.0 Emerging Technologies Transform Operations Management? Production and Operations Management, 31(12), 4475-4487. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/poms.13864Saldanha, T., Mithas, S., Khuntia, J., Whitaker, J. W., & Melville, N. P. (2022). How Green IT Standards and Strategies Influence Performance: Role of the Environment, Cost and Dual Focus. MIS Quarterly, 46(4), 2367-2386.
- Tafti, A., Rahmati, P., Mithas, S., & Krishnan, M. S. (2022). How Human Resource and
IS Practices Amplify the Returns on IT Investments. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 23(5), 1150-1183. https://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol23/iss5/6/
- Mithas, S., Xue, L., Huang, N., and Burton-Jones, A. 2022. "Editor’s Comments: Causality Meets Diversity in Information Systems Research," MIS Quarterly (46:3), pp. i-xvi
- Van Riel, A. C. R., Andreassen, T. W., Lervik-Olsen, L., Zhang, L., Mithas, S., and Heinonen, K. 2021. "A customer-centric five actor model for sustainability and service innovation," Journal of Business Research (136:Nov), pp. 389-401
- Saldanha, T., Mariadoss, B. J., Wu, M., and Mithas, S. 2021. "How Information and Communication Technology Shapes the Influence of Culture on Innovation: A Country-level Analysis," Journal of Management Information Systems (38:1), pp. 108-139
- Rahmati, P., Tafti, A., Mithas, S., and Sachdev, V. 2021. "How Does Positioning of Information Technology Firms in Strategic Alliances Influence Returns to R&D Investments?," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (22:2), pp. 383-417
- Xue, L., Mithas, S., and Ray, G. 2021. "Commitment to IT investment plans: The interplay of real earnings management, IT decentralization and corporate governance," MIS Quarterly (45:1), pp. 193-224
- Khuntia, J., Mayya, R., Mithas, S., and Agarwal, R. 2021. "Managing Cellphone Services for Customer Satisfaction: Evidence from the Base-of-the-Pyramid Markets," Production and Operations Management (30:2), pp. 418-450
- Saldanha, T., Lee, D., and Mithas, S. 2020. "Aligning Information Technology and Business: The Differential Effects of Alignment During Investment Planning, Delivery, and Change," Information Systems Research (31:4), pp.1260-1281
- Mithas, S., Hofacker, C., Bilgihan, A., Dogru, T., Bogicevic, V., and Sharma, A. 2020. "Information Technology and Baumol’s Cost Disease in Healthcare Services? A Research Agenda," Journal of Service Management (31:5), pp. 911-937
- Morgeson, F. V., Hult, G. T. M., Mithas, S., Keiningham, T. L., and Fornell, C. 2020. "Turning Complaining Customers into Loyal Customers: Moderators of the Complaint Handling – Customer Loyalty Relationship," Journal of Marketing (84:5), pp. 79-99.
- Saldanha, T., Sahaym, A., Mithas, S., Andrade Rojas, M. G., Kathuria, A., and Lee, H.-H. 2020. "Turning Globalization Liabilities Into Assets: IT-enabled Social Integration Capacity and Exploratory Innovation," Information Systems Research (31:2), pp. 361-382
- Park, Y., and Mithas, S. 2020. "Organized Complexity of Digital Business Strategy: A Configurational Perspective," MIS Quarterly (44:1), pp. 85-127
- Kude, T., Mithas, S., Schmidt, C. T., and Heinzl, A. 2019. "How Pair Programming Influences Team Performance: The Role of Backup Behavior, Shared Mental Models, and Task Novelty," Information Systems Research (30:4), pp. 1145-1163
- Whitaker, J., Mithas, S., and Liu, C.-W. 2019. "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder: Toward a Contextual Understanding of Compensation for IT Professionals Within and Across Geographies," Information Systems Research (30:3), pp. 892-911
- Sharma, P. N., Morgeson, F., Mithas, S., and Aljazzaf, S. 2018. "An Empirical and Comparative Analysis of E-Government Performance Measurement Models: Model Selection via Explanation, Prediction, and Parsimony," Government Information Quarterly (35:4), pp. 515-535
- Foerderer, J., Kude, T., Mithas, S., and Heinzl, A. 2018. "Does Platform Owner's Entry Crowd Out Innovation? Evidence from Google Photos," Information Systems Research (29:2) ), pp. 444-460 (Winner of the “ISR Best Published Paper Award 2018”)
- Khuntia, J., Saldanha, T., Mithas, S., and Sambamurthy, V. 2018. "Information Technology and Sustainability: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Production and Operations Management (27:4), pp. 756-773
- Huang, P., Tafti, A., and Mithas, S. 2018. "The secret to successful knowledge seeding," MIT Sloan Management Review (59:3), pp. 10-13, https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/the-secret-to-successful-knowledge-seeding/
- Founder and co-chair, Digital Innovations, Transformation and Society Conference at the India Habitat Center in New Delhi, 2018
- Program committee member, INFORMS Conference on Information Systems and Technology, 2018
- Faculty mentor, Service Science Section, PhD Consortium at INFORMS Annual Meeting, 2018
- Session chair and discussant, WISE Conference, 2018