Room: CIS 2079A
Phone: (813) 974-6337
Shivendu Shivendu is an associate professor of information systems in the School of Information Systems and Management. He has created and taught undergraduate, graduate, MBA, and doctoral courses in areas related to economics of information systems, design of information systems, business analytics, econometrics, blockchain technology and crypto economy including fintech. Shivendu serves as chair for the Graduate Council at USF and chair for the Blockchain Task Force at the Muma College of Business. He led the prestigious White House initiated federal TechHire grant of $600,000 as principal investigator and is the co-organizer of the annual "State of the Region" conference held in the Tampa Bay region, an event that draws hundreds of business and civic leaders to learn more about how the region compares to other metropolitan areas in key areas such an unemployment, income inequality, economic growth, and educational attainment. Before transitioning to academics, Shivendu served in the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) in senior leadership roles in the government in India.
His research focuses on the emerging business and policy issues at the intersection of technology, economics and public policy. He employs analytical, empirical, and experimental methods to study technology mediated business models, sourcing of IT services, security and privacy in big data, health IT and algorithmic fairness and bias. His work has been published in information systems journals including Management Science, Information Systems Research, Production and Operations Management, the Journal of Management Information Systems, and Information Technology Management. His research papers have won many best-paper awards in conferences. Shivendu also serves as pro bono academic advisor to the National Institute of Smart Government, New Delhi.
He earned a PhD and a Master in Economics from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, and a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
- Statistical Programming for Business Analytics
- Advanced Systems Analysis and Design
- Econometrics for Business
- Crypto economy: Foundations and Business Applications
- Blockchain Technology and FinTech
- Zhang, Z., Shivendu, S., & Wang, P. (2021). Is Investment in Data Analytics Always Profitable? The Case of Third‐Party‐Online‐Promotion Marketplace. Production and Operations Management, 30(7), 2321-2337.
- Shivendu, S., Zeng, D., & Gurbaxani, V. (2020). Optimal Asset Transfer in IT Outsourcing Contracts. MIS Quarterly, 44(2).
- Shivendu, S., & Zhang, R. A. (2019). The impact of digitization on content markets: Prices, profit, and social welfare. MIS Quarterly, 44(4)
- Choudhary, V., and Shivendu, S., “Targeted Couponing in Online Auctions,” Information Systems Research, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 490-510, September 2017.
- Shivendu, S., and Zhang, J., “Versioning in Software Industry: Heterogeneous Disutility from Under-provisioning of Functionality,” Information Systems Research, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 731-753, December 2015.
- Chair, Graduate Council, University of South Florida, 2022-2023
- Member, Faculty Senate Executive Committee, University of South Florida, 2022-2023
- Ph.D. Program Coordinator School of Information Systems and Management, 2017 – 2020.
- Chair, Muma Blockchain Task Force, 2019 – present
- Member - Organizing Committee, CIST - INFORMS 2015,
- Associate Editor: International Conference on Information Systems, 2012