Room: BSN 3320
Phone: (813) 974-6513
James Whitworth is an assistant professor in the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy, teaching auditing and financial accounting.
His research on audit report timeliness has been published in Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory and the Journal of Information Systems. He received a "best paper award" from the 2012 Academy of Business Research Conference. His research interests include auditing, financial accounting, corporate governance, audit committees and earnings quality. He is a licensed CPA and previously was an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. He also spent four years as a corporate accountant and one year in public accounting.
Whitworth earned a PhD in accountancy from the University of Missouri, a master's degree in accounting from the University of Missouri-Kansas City and a bachelor's degree from the University of Kansas.
- ACG 3103 - Intermediate Financial Accounting I
- ACG 4123 - Intermediate Financial Accounting III
Murthy, U., J. Park, T. Smith, and J. Whitworth. (2023). Audit Efficiency and Effectiveness Consequences of Accounting System Homogeneity Across Audit Clients: A New Form of Knowledge Spillover? Forthcoming at The Accounting Review.
Seavey, S., J. Whitworth, and M. Imhof. (2022). Early Earnings Releases and the Role of Accounting Quality. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 41(3): 175-203.
Shaw, K., and J. Whitworth. (2022). Client Importance and Unconditional Conservatism in Complex Accounting Estimates. Accepted for publication at Advances in Accounting.
Murthy, U.S., T. Smith, J. Whitworth, and I. Zhang (2020). The Effects of Information Systems Compatibility on Firm Performance Following Mergers and Acquisitions. Journal of Information Systems, 34(2): 211-233.
- Lee, L., J. Whitworth, and S. Hermanson (2015). The Effects of Information Technology Innovativeness on Audit Efficiencies. Review of Business Information Systems, 19(1): 25-38.
- Member, Acccounting Circle Fund Committee, 2014-present
- Contributor, AAA Auditing Section, 2012-present
- Honors Thesis Chair, 2015-16
- Ad hoc reviewer, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, AAA Auditing Section meeting and AAA annual meeting