General Business Certificate
USF's General Business Certificate is designed exclusively for non-business majors. Perfect for students majoring in mass communications, criminology, psychology, international studies, social work, public health, history, philosophy, languages, or political science (or similar majors), this program provides the business knowledge - without having to pursue a business minor - that will help students in these and other disciplines land a job where they can apply their skills in a corporate setting.
There are no pre-requisites to begin the certificate and the sections set aside for this program are created with the non-business major in mind. While there is no specific point of entry for the program, there is a preferred sequence of coursework, starting with a computers class and ending with a specialized finance course. All courses are available online.
Typical course sequencing
- CGS 2100 Computers in Business
- MAR 3023 Basic Marketing
- MAN 3025 Principles of Management
- ACG 3074 Accounting for Non-Business Majors
- FIN 3005 Finance for Non-Business Majors (ACG 3074 is a prerequisite)
Other important notes
- At least 12 of the required 15 credit hours for this program must be taken at USF Tampa.
- This is not a second degree nor a business minor; this is a certificate program and will be reflected as such on the student transcripts.
- A 2.0 or better GPA must be achieved in the certificate coursework with a grade of C not C- in all courses. Courses may not be taken on a S/U basis.
- Students who have taken both ACG 2021 and ACG 2071 may substitute these classes for ACG 3074.
- ACG 3074 is a prerequisite for FIN 3005 and the classes may not be taken at the same time.
- Requirements for non USF students to apply for certificate program
- 60 credit hours of college course credit
- College course credit GPA requirements: minimum 2.0 GPA from a Florida state or community college, Florida SUS program, or a minimum 2.5 GPA from all other colleges/universities.
- Minimum grade to receive a business certificate
- To receive a certificate student must achieve a 2.0 or better in the certificate coursework with a grade of C not C- in all courses.