News and Events
(See below for news archives.)
Faculty within the USF College of Behavioral & Community Sciences have a broad range of expertise in many areas of behavioral science, focusing on individuals, families, communities, and schools, and examining the problems and challenges people encounter, as well as their need for clinical and supportive services. During these times of social isolation and increased stress brought on due to Covid 19, faculty have created A Minute for Metal Health videos related to their expertise.
The MFT program will train and educate students to meet the growing demand for marriage and family therapists in the state of Florida. The program is an expansion of the successful MFT Graduate Certificate which enables professionals in mental health, rehabilitation counseling, counselor education, social work, psychology, and other human service fields to enhance their knowledge and skills in marriage and family therapy.
Up until this year, the Community Applications of Behavior Analysis (CABA) Poster Session meant an opportunity for ABA Master’s students to gather and display their practicum case studies in a professional presentation setting. This year, the Covid-19 Crisis required the annual poster session to be revamped into an online format.
As USF prepared to meet the continuing educational needs of students during the COVID 19 Crisis by transitioning to remote instruction for the duration of 2019 spring semester, ABA Doctoral Students Marlesha Bell and Anthony Concepcion, who both began the ABA doctoral program in 2017, provided much needed support to the ABA program.
The award is given to CBCS faculty who have demonstrated outstanding service to the Department, College, University, Profession, and/or the local community.
Congratulations to Maura DeJesus, Lorna Henley, Telisha McKenzie, and Selecia Watson for receiving a 2019 USF Outstanding Staff Team award for their work on the administrative team for the Florida Center for Inclusive Communities (FCIC).
The Faculty Senate is the primary faculty advisory body to the USF President, Provost, and Vice President for Health on all matters that pertain to the academic climate of the university.
She is honored for her significant contributions to the field of intellectual and development disabilities in the United States between 2000 and 2020.
Congratulations to Dr. Trina Spencer on being selected for a Fulbright award to conduct research and teach in South Africa. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright Program is devoted to increasing mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries.
CABH Student Reflects on Policy, Process and the the Interdepartmental Serious Mental Illness Coordinating Committee
Haley Vernoy is a master's student in the Child & Adolescent Behavioral Health Program at USF. She is currently completing her field experience with the Children’s Mental Health Network, focusing on the Interdepartmental Serious Mental Illness Coordinating Committee (ISMICC) and understanding how policy influences the work of this committee.
The two-part series in Spanish helps to answer questions parents have about autism and share how schools are working with children to help them achieve success.
- RMHC Student Aysha Tenouri Completes USF's Entrepreneurial Program, I-Corps
- USF Students Prepare Education Materials for Autism Conference in Belarus
- 3 Rightpath Faculty Invited to Join Editorial Board of the Journal of Educational Psychology (JEP)
- Karen Berkman, CARD-USF Executive Director, Receives Joe Sanchez Jr. Leadership Award
- RMHC Offers 2020 Summer Study Abroad Course in Intimate Relationships
- Proceeds from Tampa Interbay Rotary’s 10th Annual Cycling for Autism Event Support USF's CARD and ABA Programs
- RMHC Students Recipients of Two Scholarships
- Karen Berkman joins USF President Judy Genshaft at Signing of Harold & Muriel Berkman Charitable Foundation Award
- Online MS in Child & Adolescent Behavioral Health Program Earns No. 1 Ranking by BestColleges
- Online MA in Applied Behavior Analysis Earns No. 1 Ranking by BestColleges
- CFS faculty Dr. Rose Iovannone Presents Keynote, Sessions and Workshop at Queensland, Australia's Positive Behaviour for Learning Conference
- The Learning Academy at USF and MacDonald Training Center Announce Technology Collaboration
- USF ABA Program Faculty and Students Present at Inaugural Pan African Congress on Autism in Nairobi, Kenya
- CFS Faculty Among CBCS Researchers to Complete Study of Sarasota County Child and Youth Mental Health Services
- Congratulations to RMHC for Ranking Among U.S. News & World Report's Best Graduate Schools for Rehabilitation Counseling!
- Dr. Liz Perkins' Presidential Address at the AAIDD Conference Now Available Online
- CFS Faculty and Staff Publish Article on Neurodiversity in HR Florida Review Magazine
- CARD-USF Recognized at Mayor's Alliance for Persons with Disabilities Award Luncheon
- Dr. Trina Spencer Trains Specialists to Work with Children with Autism in Minsk, Belarus
- USF Part of $32.6 Million Grant for Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Educators from The Netherlands visit USF to Learn Firsthand about the FLPBIS Approach for Supporting Student Behavior
- CFS Works to Form Partnership with Kwara State University to Bring HIPPY’s Early Childhood Education Program into Nigerian Communities
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga to Serve as Chair of the International Military and Veterans Networking Group
- CFS's Dr. Heather Peshak George to Provide Keynote Address at National Leadership Forum on School-Wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support
- RMHC Student Jenny Vosburg Receives John A. Orphanidys Scholarship
- ABA Faculty Member Dr. Sarah Bloom Serves as Invited Speaker at Conferences in Israel and Turkey
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Profiled in American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine's Research Spotlight
- Dr. Kwang-Sun Blair Delivers Invited Workshops, Seminar, and Colloquium in South Korea
- Naples Daily News Commentary: Dr. Norin Dollard Discusses Juvenile Arrests and Baker Act Examinations
- Rightpath Research & Innovation Center at USF Receives $1.3 Million Research Grant from U.S. Department of Education
- Dr. William Kearns Interviewed by Tampa's Bay News 9 about Technology to Reduce Falls in Older Adults
- Dr. Heather Peshak George Serves as Contribution Editor of Special Issue on PBIS for the Journal of Behavioral Disorders
- FCIC’s Trainee Gary Lam featured on AUCD’s Emerging Leaders Map
- Dr. Liz Perkins is Forging New International Alliances in England
- Dr. Chih-Chin Chou Selected for Fulbright Award to Taiwan
- Dr. Rose Iovannone Elected President of the Association for Positive Behavior Support (APBS)
- 2017 Cohort of ABA Doctoral Students Gain Valuable Teaching Experience
- Dr. Tina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Serves as Co-editor on a Special Supplement of the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Dr. Therese Sandomierski to Receive the Association for Positive Behavior Support's 2018 Ted Carr Early Career Practitioner Award
- CARD-USF Members Selected to Serve on Tampa's New Autism Friendly Advisory Committee
- Dr. Elizabeth Perkins Awarded the USF Distinguished Undergraduate Psychology Alumni Award
- Dr. Lise Fox Receives $5.5 Million Grant to Improve Young Children’s Social and Emotional Competence while Reducing Challenging Behavior
- Dr. Kwang-Sun Cho Blair to Serve as Principal Investigator on New $1.11 Million Grant Funded by the U.S. Department of Education
- National Institute on Aging Funds Project to Monitor Electric Powered Wheelchair Navigation by Elderly with Cognitive Impairments
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Receives Travel Funds from United Faculty of Florida at USF
- Dr. David Chiriboga Serves on APA Multicultural Guidelines Revision Task Force
- CFS Provides Professional Development Training on Contracts and Grants for Principal Investigators
- New Center at USF to Focus on Early Intervention as Right Path to Success for Young Children
- Conn Memorial Foundation Honors CFS Chair Dr. Mario Hernandez for Service to the Board
- USF Researchers Among Presenters at Pasco County Anti-bullying Event
- Dr. William Kearns to Moderate Expert Panel at 2017 International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics World Conference
- Florida Ranks 40th in Latest National Report for Overall Child Well-Being
- Letter: 2017 Children's Mental Health Awareness Day
- Dr. Ray Miltenberger Receives CBCS Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- St. Petersburg College, Clearwater Campus Opens The Learning Academy for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- City of Tampa Partners with CARD USF on Autism Friendly Tampa Initiative
- Fourth Year ABA Doctoral Students have Long List of Research Accomplishments!
- USF Receives $1.6 Million Grant to Continue Efforts to Address Drug Abuse and Related Behavioral Health Concerns of Children and Adolescents
- USF's Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Practicum Fair A Great Success!
- Drs. Tammy Jorgensen Smith and Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Receive Funding to Improve Employment Outcomes for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders