News and Events
(Scroll below for news archives.)
FCIC Associate Director Elizabeth Perkins Among CBCS Faculty who Co-author 7th Edition Text on Physical Change and Aging
This latest edition of Physical Change and Aging, 7th Edition: A Guide for the Helping Professions continues to offer practical, user-friendly, and comprehensive information about the physical changes and common pathologies associated with the aging process.
CFS Professor Heather George Receives Grant from U.S. Department of Education to Improve Mental Health Services in Middle Schools
The 5-year, $1.5 million grant from the U.S. Department of Education (ED) will work to improve mental health services in middle schools implementing Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (PBIS).
CFS Associate Professor Trina Spencer's Research Lab Provides Early Research Experience for Students at All Levels
She has an organized research lab that involves students at all levels. She encourages interdisciplinary collaboration and empowers students to achieve high goals.
As a Fulbright Scholar, Dr. Wang will explore the latest developments and applications of technology (including AI) in rehabilitation and what the possible impacts are on the lives of individuals with disabilities.
New Scholarship Opportunity for CBCS Students in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling and Social Work
Master’s students enrolled in the College of Behavioral & Community Sciences's Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling and Social Work programs are among students eligible to apply for the new Behavioral Health Workforce Education & Training Scholar (BHWET) Program at USF.
Research Associate Professor and FCIC Associate Director Liz Perkins Selected to Serve on Board of Disability Rights Florida
Disability Rights Florida was founded in 1977 as the state’s designated Protection and Advocacy (P&A) system for individuals with disabilities in the State of Florida.
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR CHRISTINA DILLAHUNT-ASPILLAGA TO GUIDE DEVELOPMENT OF NEBRASKA TBI STATEWIDE DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
The project will develop a training curriculum for the staff of Nebraska Vocational Rehabilitation and Supported Employment providers.
FLORIDA HIPPY PROGRAM AND CHILDREN'S SERVICES COUNCIL OF MARTIN COUNTY FORM PARTNERSHIP TO BRING SCHOOL READINESS PROGRAM TO MARTIN COUNTY
For more than 30 years, the Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) program has partnered with parents to prepare their children for early school success using a home visiting model.
Associate Professor Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Selected to Serve on Department of Veterans' Affairs Advisory Committee on Rehabilitation
VACOR is authorized to provide advice and guidance in the area of vocational rehabilitation issues and to develop recommendations for VA’s consideration to the Secretary.
She is listed among 50 Advocate Heroes being showcased for their extraordinary work and achievements as part of EP Magazine's 50th anniversary celebration.
View speaker info and recordings of the presenations hosted by the Rehabilitation & Mental Health Counseling Program.
Although the fiscal year for USF does not end until June 30, CFS research and grant activity already shows an impressive effort among faculty and staff who participate in high-impact research and innovation to change lives, improve health, and foster sustainable development and positive societal change.
The goal of the 2-year, $478,553 grant is to inform ongoing implementation and improve program effectiveness for violence prevention and mental health training programs funded by the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) in response to the Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence Act.
She and Co-PI Monica Landers will be measuring the impact of a pilot implementation of a co-responding telehealth model on officer confidence and competence in responding to mental health crises.
The Committee provides advisory opinions on select situations having ethical implications. Her term will run from May 15, 2021 – December 31, 2023.
Professor Marilyn Stern Invited to Present at National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health Hot Topic Webinar Series
The event was part of the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) Hot Topic Webinar series and is being held in commemoration of National Minority Health Month.
Celebrating the different applications of behavior analysis in our community, the ABA Master's Program held a Community Applications of Behavior Analysis (CABA) Virtual Poster Expo on April 7th for students to share results of their practicum or self-management projects.
The print portrays children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder as puzzle pieces, reflecting the difficulty in understanding autism spectrum disorder.
Professor Jason Anthony Provides Expertise to Florida's Association of Early Learning Coalitions and Committee for Early Grade Success
He has extensive expertise in the foundational roles of language, literacy and mathematics development in early childhood and has recently been sought out to share knowledge gained from his research in the assessment of children, family-and school-based interventions, and program evaluation and statistics.
Associate Professor Tina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Co-authors Article on Traumatic Brain Injury in the Military and Veteran Unemployment
The article focuses on return to work as an important reintegration outcome for veterans and service members with traumatic brain injury.
A second edition of Individualized Supports for Students with Problem Behaviors: Designing Positive Behavior Plans will be released April 15, 2021, and out of the 14 chapters, 5 of them are co-authored by CFS faculty.
Since its inception in 2006-2007, the Association has been led by multiple elected presidents from USF.
CFS Research Professor Heather Peshak George Develops Behavior Management Guides for Education Hub in New Zealand
She recently developed 7 research guides on behavior management for the non-profit education group, The Education Hub in New Zealand.
New Registered Behavior Technician® (RBT®) 40-Hour Training Provider Pass-Rate Report Ranks USF Program Third in the Nation
USF ranks third in the nation among 24 RBT training programs that trained 50 or more RBT® examination candidates in 2020.
AAAS Fellows are recognized for their achievements across disciplines.
CFS Professor David Chiriboga Among CBCS Faculty Contributing to Research on Health Vulnerabilities of Korean Americans
He is part of an international team of scholars researching mental and physical health vulnerabilities of older Koreans in Korea and the US.
Florida HIPPY T&TA Center to Conduct Pilot Test as Part of the Florida Office of Early Learning's Preschool Development Grant
The pilot project is aimed at testing the delivery of early childhood online digital supports to improve children’s school readiness skills.
- RMHC Student Aysha Tenouri Completes USF's Entrepreneurial Program, I-Corps
- USF Students Prepare Education Materials for Autism Conference in Belarus
- 3 Rightpath Faculty Invited to Join Editorial Board of the Journal of Educational Psychology (JEP)
- Karen Berkman, CARD-USF Executive Director, Receives Joe Sanchez Jr. Leadership Award
- RMHC Offers 2020 Summer Study Abroad Course in Intimate Relationships
- Proceeds from Tampa Interbay Rotary’s 10th Annual Cycling for Autism Event Support USF's CARD and ABA Programs
- RMHC Students Recipients of Two Scholarships
- Karen Berkman joins USF President Judy Genshaft at Signing of Harold & Muriel Berkman Charitable Foundation Award
- Online MS in Child & Adolescent Behavioral Health Program Earns No. 1 Ranking by BestColleges
- Online MA in Applied Behavior Analysis Earns No. 1 Ranking by BestColleges
- CFS faculty Dr. Rose Iovannone Presents Keynote, Sessions and Workshop at Queensland, Australia's Positive Behaviour for Learning Conference
- The Learning Academy at USF and MacDonald Training Center Announce Technology Collaboration
- USF ABA Program Faculty and Students Present at Inaugural Pan African Congress on Autism in Nairobi, Kenya
- CFS Faculty Among CBCS Researchers to Complete Study of Sarasota County Child and Youth Mental Health Services
- Congratulations to RMHC for Ranking Among U.S. News & World Report's Best Graduate Schools for Rehabilitation Counseling!
- Dr. Liz Perkins' Presidential Address at the AAIDD Conference Now Available Online
- CFS Faculty and Staff Publish Article on Neurodiversity in HR Florida Review Magazine
- CARD-USF Recognized at Mayor's Alliance for Persons with Disabilities Award Luncheon
- Dr. Trina Spencer Trains Specialists to Work with Children with Autism in Minsk, Belarus
- USF Part of $32.6 Million Grant for Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Educators from The Netherlands visit USF to Learn Firsthand about the FLPBIS Approach for Supporting Student Behavior
- CFS Works to Form Partnership with Kwara State University to Bring HIPPY’s Early Childhood Education Program into Nigerian Communities
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga to Serve as Chair of the International Military and Veterans Networking Group
- CFS's Dr. Heather Peshak George to Provide Keynote Address at National Leadership Forum on School-Wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support
- RMHC Student Jenny Vosburg Receives John A. Orphanidys Scholarship
- ABA Faculty Member Dr. Sarah Bloom Serves as Invited Speaker at Conferences in Israel and Turkey
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Profiled in American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine's Research Spotlight
- Dr. Kwang-Sun Blair Delivers Invited Workshops, Seminar, and Colloquium in South Korea
- Naples Daily News Commentary: Dr. Norin Dollard Discusses Juvenile Arrests and Baker Act Examinations
- Rightpath Research & Innovation Center at USF Receives $1.3 Million Research Grant from U.S. Department of Education
- Dr. William Kearns Interviewed by Tampa's Bay News 9 about Technology to Reduce Falls in Older Adults
- Dr. Heather Peshak George Serves as Contribution Editor of Special Issue on PBIS for the Journal of Behavioral Disorders
- FCIC’s Trainee Gary Lam featured on AUCD’s Emerging Leaders Map
- Dr. Liz Perkins is Forging New International Alliances in England
- Dr. Chih-Chin Chou Selected for Fulbright Award to Taiwan
- Dr. Rose Iovannone Elected President of the Association for Positive Behavior Support (APBS)
- 2017 Cohort of ABA Doctoral Students Gain Valuable Teaching Experience
- Dr. Tina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Serves as Co-editor on a Special Supplement of the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Dr. Therese Sandomierski to Receive the Association for Positive Behavior Support's 2018 Ted Carr Early Career Practitioner Award
- CARD-USF Members Selected to Serve on Tampa's New Autism Friendly Advisory Committee
- Dr. Elizabeth Perkins Awarded the USF Distinguished Undergraduate Psychology Alumni Award
- Dr. Lise Fox Receives $5.5 Million Grant to Improve Young Children’s Social and Emotional Competence while Reducing Challenging Behavior
- Dr. Kwang-Sun Cho Blair to Serve as Principal Investigator on New $1.11 Million Grant Funded by the U.S. Department of Education
- National Institute on Aging Funds Project to Monitor Electric Powered Wheelchair Navigation by Elderly with Cognitive Impairments
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Receives Travel Funds from United Faculty of Florida at USF
- Dr. David Chiriboga Serves on APA Multicultural Guidelines Revision Task Force
- CFS Provides Professional Development Training on Contracts and Grants for Principal Investigators
- New Center at USF to Focus on Early Intervention as Right Path to Success for Young Children
- Conn Memorial Foundation Honors CFS Chair Dr. Mario Hernandez for Service to the Board
- USF Researchers Among Presenters at Pasco County Anti-bullying Event
- Dr. William Kearns to Moderate Expert Panel at 2017 International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics World Conference
- Florida Ranks 40th in Latest National Report for Overall Child Well-Being
- Letter: 2017 Children's Mental Health Awareness Day
- Dr. Ray Miltenberger Receives CBCS Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- St. Petersburg College, Clearwater Campus Opens The Learning Academy for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- City of Tampa Partners with CARD USF on Autism Friendly Tampa Initiative
- Fourth Year ABA Doctoral Students have Long List of Research Accomplishments!
- USF Receives $1.6 Million Grant to Continue Efforts to Address Drug Abuse and Related Behavioral Health Concerns of Children and Adolescents
- USF's Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Practicum Fair A Great Success!
- Drs. Tammy Jorgensen Smith and Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Receive Funding to Improve Employment Outcomes for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders