News and Events
(Scroll below for news archives.)
An award established in honor of Dr. Friedman, long-time Professor and Chair in Child & Family Studies, is given to a graduate student in the last year of their study.
Since 2017, CARD-USF and the Autism Friendly Tampa committee have worked together to make Tampa a welcoming and safe community for individuals on the autism spectrum and their families.
USF Assistant Professor of Instruction/MFT Field Placement Coordinator Lauren Baxley, PhD, LMFT was the moderator and 8 panelists shared their expertise, wisdom and tips with students in both CRMHC & MFT programs.
APBS is a multidisciplinary organization made up of over 1400 professionals (teachers, researchers, university professors, and administrators), family members, and consumers who are committed to the application of positive behavior support within the context of the school, family, and community.
Congratulations to RMHC students Callie Hill, Jessica Klein and Kevin Spath who won in the Social & Behavioral Sciences (including Education) category.
The Florida Center for Inclusive Communities (FCIC) UCEDD, in partnership with Diane Wilkins Productions, and funded by a grant from the Administration for Community Living/CDC, is pleased to announce the release of a new series of free educational videos.
Beginning Fall 2022, a new fully online Master of Arts in Rehabilitation Counseling and Disability Sciences (RCDS) will be offered at USF to meet the increasing demand for Certified Rehabilitation Counselors to work with persons with physical, mental, emotional, and chemical disabilities.
She is a driving force behind the creation of the new Rehabilitation Counseling and Disability Sciences online master’s program, which prepares students for careers as rehabilitation counselors and professional disability specialists. She plans to share the stories of her children and invite other guest speakers with disabilities to speak with classes in the program to help end the stigma and stereotypes that those with disabilities face.
After several starts and stops and a year and a half delay, CFS Associate Professor Dr. Trina Spencer finally made it to South Africa. She won a Fulbright award in 2020, but due to COVID-19, she was unable to begin her experience until 2022.
As a lawyer, neurodiversity expert and author, she is a consultant to top corporations and nonprofits that seek her guidance in creating a diverse workplace, and a sought-after commentator on disability rights issues.
The story explores Dr. Hernandez's childhood growing up in Ybor City to a Cuban father and Spanish and Sicilian mother and his experiences with racism against the Latin community.
Dr. Stern is recognized for her distinguished contributions to the field of psychology, particularly for development of parent-involved interventions for obese children and adolescents, pediatric cancer survivors, and at-risk youth.
The committee is organized by the Institute of International Education and encompass the diversity of U.S. academia
CFS Study Team is Conducting a National Online Survey of Former Youth Residents of Residential Treatment Facilities and their Parents and Caregivers
The survey is to help understand their experiences and perspective of the care received by the facilities. The types of facilities include programs such as therapeutic boarding schools, wilderness camps, residential treatment centers, and boot camps.
Fulbright Scholar Dr. Ming Hung Wang, CRC shared the history of disability rights movement in Taiwan along with the evolution of the special education and vocational rehabilitation systems, both modeled after systems in the United States.
- RMHC Student Carmen Florez Receives Josie Torralba Romero Scholarship in Tribute to CFS Research Assistant Professor Linda Callejas
- CFS’s Research Associate Professor Liz Perkins selected for Florida Department of Health’s new Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias Workgroup
- ABA Doctoral Student Arturo Garcia Receives Josie Torralba Romero Scholarship
- New U.S. Department of Education Report Highlights Examples of Work of CFS Faculty
- FCIC Associate Director Elizabeth Perkins Among CBCS Faculty who Co-author 7th Edition Text on Physical Change and Aging
- CFS Professor Heather George Receives Grant from U.S. Department of Education to Improve Mental Health Services in Middle Schools
- CFS Associate Professor Trina Spencer's Research Lab Provides Early Research Experience for Students at All Levels
- CFS and RMHC Welcome Fulbright Scholar Dr. Ming Hung Wang
- Associate Professor Tina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Named 2021 Fellow of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine (FACRM)
- New Scholarship Opportunity for CBCS Students in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling and Social Work
- Research Associate Professor and FCIC Associate Director Liz Perkins Selected to Serve on Board of Disability Rights Florida
- Associate Professor Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga to Guide Development of Nebraska TBI Statewide Demonstration Project
- Florida Hippy Program and Children's Services Council of Martin County Form Partnership to Bring School Readiness Program to Martin County
- Associate Professor Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Selected to Serve on Department of Veterans' Affairs Advisory Committee on Rehabilitation
- Dr. Liz Perkins Honored as EP Magazine Advocate Hero
- RMHC 2021 Speaker Series on Race & Counseling
- CFS Research and Grant Activity Shows Impressive Results for Current Fiscal Year
- NIJ Grant to Address Violence Prevention and Mental Health Training Programs in Schools
- Research Assistant Professor Anna Abella Receives USF New Researcher Grant
- Associate Professor Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Appointed to CRCC Ethics Committee
- Professor Marilyn Stern Invited to Present at National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health Hot Topic Webinar Series
- ABA Students Share Research During Virtual CABA Event
- CARD-USF Gifted Special Artwork Now On Display Celebrating Autism Acceptance
- Professor Jason Anthony Provides Expertise to Florida's Association of Early Learning Coalitions and Committee for Early Grade Success
- Associate Professor Tina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Co-authors Article on Traumatic Brain Injury in the Military and Veteran Unemployment
- CFS Faculty Author Five Chapters in Book Focused on Supports for Students with Problem Behavior
- CFS Professor Don Kincaid Elected President for the Association for Positive Behavior Support
- CFS Research Professor Heather Peshak George Develops Behavior Management Guides for Education Hub in New Zealand
- New Registered Behavior Technician® (RBT®) 40-Hour Training Provider Pass-Rate Report Ranks USF Program Third in the Nation
- ABA Program Director Dr. Ray Miltenberger Among 2 CBCS Faculty Named New AAAS Fellows
- CFS Professor David Chiriboga Among CBCS Faculty Contributing to Research on Health Vulnerabilities of Korean Americans
- Florida HIPPY T&TA Center to Conduct Pilot Test as Part of the Florida Office of Early Learning's Preschool Development Grant
- RMHC Student Aysha Tenouri Completes USF's Entrepreneurial Program, I-Corps
- USF Students Prepare Education Materials for Autism Conference in Belarus
- 3 Rightpath Faculty Invited to Join Editorial Board of the Journal of Educational Psychology (JEP)
- Karen Berkman, CARD-USF Executive Director, Receives Joe Sanchez Jr. Leadership Award
- RMHC Offers 2020 Summer Study Abroad Course in Intimate Relationships
- Proceeds from Tampa Interbay Rotary’s 10th Annual Cycling for Autism Event Support USF's CARD and ABA Programs
- RMHC Students Recipients of Two Scholarships
- Karen Berkman joins USF President Judy Genshaft at Signing of Harold & Muriel Berkman Charitable Foundation Award
- Online MS in Child & Adolescent Behavioral Health Program Earns No. 1 Ranking by BestColleges
- Online MA in Applied Behavior Analysis Earns No. 1 Ranking by BestColleges
- CFS faculty Dr. Rose Iovannone Presents Keynote, Sessions and Workshop at Queensland, Australia's Positive Behaviour for Learning Conference
- The Learning Academy at USF and MacDonald Training Center Announce Technology Collaboration
- USF ABA Program Faculty and Students Present at Inaugural Pan African Congress on Autism in Nairobi, Kenya
- CFS Faculty Among CBCS Researchers to Complete Study of Sarasota County Child and Youth Mental Health Services
- Congratulations to RMHC for Ranking Among U.S. News & World Report's Best Graduate Schools for Rehabilitation Counseling!
- Dr. Liz Perkins' Presidential Address at the AAIDD Conference Now Available Online
- CFS Faculty and Staff Publish Article on Neurodiversity in HR Florida Review Magazine
- CARD-USF Recognized at Mayor's Alliance for Persons with Disabilities Award Luncheon
- Dr. Trina Spencer Trains Specialists to Work with Children with Autism in Minsk, Belarus
- USF Part of $32.6 Million Grant for Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Educators from The Netherlands visit USF to Learn Firsthand about the FLPBIS Approach for Supporting Student Behavior
- CFS Works to Form Partnership with Kwara State University to Bring HIPPY’s Early Childhood Education Program into Nigerian Communities
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga to Serve as Chair of the International Military and Veterans Networking Group
- CFS's Dr. Heather Peshak George to Provide Keynote Address at National Leadership Forum on School-Wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support
- RMHC Student Jenny Vosburg Receives John A. Orphanidys Scholarship
- ABA Faculty Member Dr. Sarah Bloom Serves as Invited Speaker at Conferences in Israel and Turkey
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Profiled in American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine's Research Spotlight
- Dr. Kwang-Sun Blair Delivers Invited Workshops, Seminar, and Colloquium in South Korea
- Naples Daily News Commentary: Dr. Norin Dollard Discusses Juvenile Arrests and Baker Act Examinations
- Rightpath Research & Innovation Center at USF Receives $1.3 Million Research Grant from U.S. Department of Education
- Dr. William Kearns Interviewed by Tampa's Bay News 9 about Technology to Reduce Falls in Older Adults
- Dr. Heather Peshak George Serves as Contribution Editor of Special Issue on PBIS for the Journal of Behavioral Disorders
- FCIC’s Trainee Gary Lam featured on AUCD’s Emerging Leaders Map
- Dr. Liz Perkins is Forging New International Alliances in England
- Dr. Chih-Chin Chou Selected for Fulbright Award to Taiwan
- Dr. Rose Iovannone Elected President of the Association for Positive Behavior Support (APBS)
- 2017 Cohort of ABA Doctoral Students Gain Valuable Teaching Experience
- Dr. Tina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Serves as Co-editor on a Special Supplement of the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Dr. Therese Sandomierski to Receive the Association for Positive Behavior Support's 2018 Ted Carr Early Career Practitioner Award
- CARD-USF Members Selected to Serve on Tampa's New Autism Friendly Advisory Committee
- Dr. Elizabeth Perkins Awarded the USF Distinguished Undergraduate Psychology Alumni Award
- Dr. Lise Fox Receives $5.5 Million Grant to Improve Young Children’s Social and Emotional Competence while Reducing Challenging Behavior
- Dr. Kwang-Sun Cho Blair to Serve as Principal Investigator on New $1.11 Million Grant Funded by the U.S. Department of Education
- National Institute on Aging Funds Project to Monitor Electric Powered Wheelchair Navigation by Elderly with Cognitive Impairments
- Dr. Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Receives Travel Funds from United Faculty of Florida at USF
- Dr. David Chiriboga Serves on APA Multicultural Guidelines Revision Task Force
- CFS Provides Professional Development Training on Contracts and Grants for Principal Investigators
- New Center at USF to Focus on Early Intervention as Right Path to Success for Young Children
- Conn Memorial Foundation Honors CFS Chair Dr. Mario Hernandez for Service to the Board
- USF Researchers Among Presenters at Pasco County Anti-bullying Event
- Dr. William Kearns to Moderate Expert Panel at 2017 International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics World Conference
- Florida Ranks 40th in Latest National Report for Overall Child Well-Being
- Letter: 2017 Children's Mental Health Awareness Day
- Dr. Ray Miltenberger Receives CBCS Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- St. Petersburg College, Clearwater Campus Opens The Learning Academy for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- City of Tampa Partners with CARD USF on Autism Friendly Tampa Initiative
- Fourth Year ABA Doctoral Students have Long List of Research Accomplishments!
- USF Receives $1.6 Million Grant to Continue Efforts to Address Drug Abuse and Related Behavioral Health Concerns of Children and Adolescents
- USF's Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Practicum Fair A Great Success!
- Drs. Tammy Jorgensen Smith and Christina Dillahunt-Aspillaga Receive Funding to Improve Employment Outcomes for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders