For outstanding graduate students, the Department of Computer Science and Engineering offers financial help. Almost all our Ph.D. students are covered by financial aid of one form or another. We always have new assistantships (TA/RA) for new Ph.D. students entering the department. It comes with a stipend ranging from $15,000 to $20,000 plus tuition waiver.
Teaching Assistantships are offered to qualified students in the M.S. and Ph.D. programs. All applicants who submit their admission applications by the deadlines of January 15 for fall term and July 15 for spring term are considered for Teaching Assistantships. No additional application form is required.
Selection criteria include:
- Recommendation by faculty member. If you are a new student, you will be contacted if a faculty expresses interest in your application
- If native language is not English, a score of 50 or above on the Test of Spoken English (TSE)/SPEAK, "3" on the Foreign Service Institute Language Proficiency Interview (LPI), or a score of 26 or above on the speaking component of the Internet-based TOEFL, or a score of 6.6 on the International English Language Testing System, (IELTS)
- GRE scores
- Excellent academic record, GPA of approximately 3.5
- Sufficient coursework in computer science
- Research interest in an area compatible with the department specialty areas
- Letters of recommendation and statement of purpose
- Publications, awards and honors
The estimated stipends for these assistantships range from $15,000 to $20,000 for new Ph.D. students for nine months.
These are awarded by individual faculty members. You are encouraged to contact them individually.
Fellowships and Financial Aid
The USF Presidential Doctoral Fellowship is available to new doctoral students with exceptional academic credentials (e.g., evidence of experience in the field; research productivity, awards, honors, and professional contributions and achievements to the field).
- Students must be accepted into USF doctoral program but have not yet started taking classes at USF.
- Provides a $22,500 fellowship plus tuition/fees for up to 5 years (contingent upon academic progress).
- Student do not apply. The department will nominate.
Please direct all queries regarding the Graduate Program to the Graduate Program Director.