Transforming the conversation about hunger and food insecurity and food sovereignty, using research and education, to facilitate social equity that results in healthier communities in Tampa Bay and beyond.
- Conduct research to understand the effects of hunger and food insecurity in the community,
home, and individuals;
- Educate the public and stakeholders about the diverse face of food insecurity and
its downstream effects on community health (i.e., social, economic, physical, and
- Develop action plans for the deployment of programs and activities that connect communities together to provide solutions to food insecurity that will contribute to building healthy communities and food sovereignty; and develop policy statements (e.g., White Papers) for policy-makers and stakeholders.
- Conduct comprehensive baseline assessments of the food insecurity and food sovereignty
in Tampa Bay in order to inform the design and implementation of short- and long-term
multi-sectorial community initiatives and policy changes that result in the elimination
of food insecurity and improved community health.
- Conduct follow-up assessments, sub-studies, and evaluations in order to measure the
efficacy of community activities, programs, and policies aimed at eliminating food
insecurity and improving community health.
- Secure external funding to conduct research in order to gain a better understanding
of the inter-related factors responsible for food insecurity and community health.
- Disseminate research findings through scholarly presentations and publications, technical
reports, a dedicated website, popular and social media, and public forums.
- Educate the public and stake-holders, through media campaigns, community forums, symposia
and conferences, a dedicated website, and trainings and workshops about the diverse
face of food insecurity and its downstream effects on community health.
- Provide trainings to agencies and institutions that provide food assistance, food
and nutrition education, and local food production education targeting food insecure
communities, households, and individuals.
- Provide educational and research training and opportunities to faculty, students,
and community stakeholders.
- Establish The Journal for Advancement of Food Security and Healthy Communities at
the University of South Florida
- Develop new courses for undergraduate and graduate students that address food security,
food sovereignty, and healthy communities through university-public-private engagement.
- Organize a biennial Forum that addresses current research, programming and activities, policies, and best practices regarding food (in)/security and healthy communities.