Research Assistant Professor
Office: SCA 226-A
I am interested in understanding volcanoes from a geophysical perspective - what causes them to erupt and how we can use geophysical data to investigate volcanic processes. I want to understand the processes driving different styles of volcanic activity, in particular the transition between non-eruptive and eruptive phases of volcanic activity.
Volcanic hazards impact society on many levels and my research explores ways to prevent natural phenomenon from becoming natural disasters. My current research uses seismology, photogrammetry, geodesy, and machine learning big-data approaches to investigate active volcanoes around the world.
I am working on research projects on volcanoes in Colombia, Montserrat, Nicaragua and Italy. I work with volcano monitoring institutes to improve monitoring and forecasting capability and reduce risk, e.g. rapid data analysis methods; developing new monitoring instrumentation and techniques; creating outreach and educational resources.
Robert Van Alphen
Volcanic Hazards, Seismology, Photogrammetry, Geodesy, Machine Learning, Geophysics
- Rodgers, M., Smith, P.J., Mather, T.A., Pyle, D.M. (2016) Quiescent-explosive transitions during dome-forming volcanic eruptions: Using seismicity to probe the volcanic processes leading to the 29 July 2008 vulcanian explosion of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth 121, 8453–8471. doi: 10.1002/2016JB013180
- Chierici, F., Iannaccone, G., Pignagnoli, L., Guardato, S., Locritani, M., Embriaco, D., Donnarumma, G.P., Rodgers, M., Malservisi, R., Beranzoli, L. (2016) A new method to assess long-term sea-bottom vertical displacement in shallow water using a bottom pressure sensor: Application to Campi Flegrei, Southern Italy. J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth 121, 7775–7789 doi: 10.1002/2016JB013459
- Roman, D.C., Rodgers, M., Geirsson, H., LaFemina, P., Tenorio, V. (2016) Assessing the likelihood and magnitude of volcanic explosions based on seismic quiescence. EPSL, 450, 20-28. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2016.06.020
- Metz, D., Watts, A.B., Grevemeyer, I., Rodgers, M., Paulatto, M. (2016) Ultra long-range hydroacoustic observations of submarine volcanic activity at Monowai, Kermadec Arc. Geophys. Res. Lett, 43, 1529–1536. doi: 10.1002/2015GL067259
- Rodgers, M., Rodgers, S., Roman, D. C. (2015) ‘PEAKMATCH’: A Java program for multiplet analysis of large seismic datasets. Seismol. Res. Lett. 86, 1208–1218. doi: 10.1785/0220140160
- Rodgers, M., Roman, D. C, Geirsson, H., LaFemina, P., McNutt, S., Muñoz, A., Tenorio, V. (2015) Stable and unstable phases of elevated seismic activity at the persistently restless Telica Volcano, Nicaragua. J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res. 290, 63–74. doi: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2014.11.012