Mark Bender is an assistant professor in the School of Marketing and Innovation. He teaches basic marketing, digital marketing and marketing management problems at the Muma College of Business.
His research focuses on the intersection of competitive strategy and digital marketing. His specific research interests relate to digital platforms such as daily-deal websites (e.g., Groupon), crowdfunding (e.g., Kickstarter), streaming (e.g., Spotify), and browsers (e.g., Google Chrome). Bender's research has been published in the European Journal of Operational Research and Journal of Interactive Marketing. He has presented his research at numerous conferences including Marketing Science, Frank M. Bass Frontiers of Research in Marketing Science and the Platform Strategy Research Symposium. He is the recipient of several teaching awards throughout his career.
Bender earned a PhD in marketing and a master's degree in economics from the University of Pittsburgh.
- MAR 4824 - Marketing Management Problems
- MAR 6936 - Digital Marketing
- Bender, M., Gal-Or, E., and Geylani, T. (2019) “Crowdfunding as a Vehicle for Raising
and Price Discrimination,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 46, 1-19.
- Bender, M. and Wang, Y., (2009), “The Impact of Digital Piracy on Music Sales: A Cross-Country Analysis," International Social Science Review, 84(3/4), pp. 157-170
- "Attracting Artists to Music Streaming Platforms," presented at the INFORMS Marketing Science Conference, 2017.
- "The Effects of Digitial Streaming Platforms on Competiton in Digitial Content Markets," presented at the INFORMS Markerting Science Conference, 2016.
- "Daily Deal Websites as Matchmakers," presented at the Platform Strategy Research Symposium in 2013 and the Frontiers of Research in Marketing Science, also in 2013.
- Ad hoc reviewer
- Journal of Marketing Research
- Management Science
- Production and Operations Management
- European Journal of Operational Management