Room: CIS 2073
Phone: (813) 974-6769
Fax: (813) 974-6749
Don Berndt is an associate professor in the School of Information Systems and Management. His areas of expertise include data warehousing, data mining, text mining, health informatics, web analytics, web search, online advertising, information and prediction markets. He teaches courses on information systems, database management and design and data mining.
His work on business intelligence and the role of data in effective bioterrorism surveillance systems was published in Decision Support Systems: Special Issue on Cybersecurity for Homeland Security. Other papers have been published in journals such as the American Journal of Preventive Medicine and the Journal of Computer Information Systems. A frequent presenter at academic conferences, Berndt also co-authors chapters for computer science textbooks and serves as chief technology officer for a health care information management company.
He earned a PhD from the Stern School of Business at New York University, a master's degree from SUNY Stony Brook and a bachelor's degree from the University of Rhode Island. Prior to joining USF, he was an instructor and lecturer at SUNY Stony Brook and New York University. He was also a research programmer for Yale University.
- ISM 6218 - Database Warehousing
- ISM 6218 - Advanced Database Administration
- ISM 7911 - Seminar on Technical IT Research
- S. L. Luther, J. A. McCart, D. J. Berndt, B. Hahm, D. K. Finch, J. Jarman, P. R. Foulis,
Lapcevic, R. R. Campbell, R. Shorr, K. M.Valencia, and G. Powell-Cope, (2015), “Improving Identification of Fall-Related Injuries in Ambulatory Care Using Statistical Text Mining,” American Journal of Public Health, 105(6): 1168-1173, (DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.302440).
- D. J. Berndt, J. A. McCart, D. K. Finch, and S. L. Luther, (2015), “A Case Study of Data Quality in Text Mining Clinical Progress Notes,” ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 6(1) (DOI: 10.1145/2669368).
- James A. McCart, Donald J. Berndt, Jay Jarman, Dezon K. Finch, Stephen L. Luther, (2013), “Finding Falls in Ambulatory Care Clinical Documents Using Statistical Text Mining,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA), 20: 906-914, Published online first: 15 December 2012 (DOI: 10.1136/amiajnl-001334).
- J. A. McCart, B. Padmanabhan, and D. J. Berndt, (2013),“Goal Attainment on Long Tail Web Sites: An Information Foraging Approach," Decision Support Systems, 55: 235-246, (DOI: 10.1016/j.dss. 01.025).
- J. McCart, D. Finch, J. Jarman, E. Hickling, J. Lind, M. Richardson, D. Berndt and S. Luther, (2012),"Using Ensemble Models to Classify the Sentiment Expressed in Suicide Notes," Biomedical Informatics Insights Journal, 5(Supplement 1): 77-85, (doi: 10.4137/BII.S8931).
- Member: Advisory Board, Rivergy, 2005-06
- Member: Interventional Cardiology Technical Advisory Panel of the Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration
- Referee, Decision Support Systems, INFORMS Journal on Computing, among others