Anol Bhattacherjee is a professor in the School of Information Systems and Management and the Exide Professor of Business Ethics. His research focuses on a broad range of information systems topics related to healthcare informatics, algorithm biases, social media, and organizational innovations. He teaches classes on statistical data modeling, text analytics, and research methods.
Bhattacherjee is the world’s 12th ranked researcher in career-long impact (8th ranked in single year 2020 impact) in the information systems discipline, according to a 2021 Stanford University study. His papers have been cited over 30,000 times on Google Scholar, with six papers exceeding 1,000 citations each. His sole-authored 2001 paper in MIS Quarterly, cited over 8,000 times, is credited with starting a new stream of research on technology continuance. Bhattacherjee has more than 100 refereed journal papers and conference proceedings, of which 10 are in Financial Times 50 journals and five are in MIS Quarterly – the No.1 journal in the discipline. Over the 2001-10 decade, he was the world’s 8th ranked researcher in information systems, based on papers published in the top two journals in the discipline. In 2012, he was listed in Most Prolific Authors in MIS Quarterly, and in 2019, he was awarded the Stafford Beer Medal by the Operational Research Society, United Kingdom, for his research. In addition, his free textbook on research methods, titled Social Science Research: Principles, Methods, and Practices, has been downloaded over 1.2 million times, used in 22,000 institutions in 222 countries, and translated into seven languages. Bhattacherjee was the principal investigator in U.S. federal grants exceeding $750,000 and he served on the editorial boards of MIS Quarterly and the Journal of the AIS for six years.
Bhattacherjee earned a PhD and an MBA from the University of Houston and master's and bachelor's degrees from Indian Institute of Technology. He had prior faculty appointments at Arizona State University and the University of Colorado at Denver and served as the Fulbright-Nehru Distinguished Chair in 2019 (at Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur) and Fulbright Senior Scholar in 2012 (at ESPRIT, Tunisia).
ISM 6137 – Statistical Data Mining
ISM 6564 – Text Analytics
QMB 7565 – Introduction to Research Methods
- Mou, J., Cohen, J., and Bhattacherjee, A., “A Test of Protection Motivation Theory in the Information Security Literature: A Meta-Analytic Structural Equation Modeling Approach,” Journal of the Association of Information Systems (23:1), 2022, 196-236.
- Bhattacherjee, A. and Shrivastava, U., “The Effects of ICT Use and ICT Laws on Corruption: A General Deterrence Theory Perspective,” Government Information Quarterly (35), 2018, 703-712.
- Bhattacherjee, A., Davis, C., Connolly, A., and Hikmet, N., “User Reactions to Mandatory IT Use: A Coping Theory Perspective,” European Journal of Information Systems (27:4), 2018, 395-414.
- Daniel, S., Midha, V., Bhattacherjee, A., and Singh, S., “Sourcing Knowledge in Open Source Software Projects: The Impacts of Internal and External Social Capital on Project Success,” Journal of Strategic Information Systems (27), 2018, 237-256.
- Huang, M., Bhattacherjee, A., and Wong, C.S., “Gatekeepers’ Innovative Use of IT: An Absorptive Capacity Model at the Unit Level,” Information & Management (55), 2018, 235-244.
- Song, J., Baker, J., Wang, Y., Choi, H., and Bhattacherjee, A., “Platform Adoption by Mobile Application Developers,” Decision Support Systems (107:C), March 2018, 26-39.
- Editorial board member, Journal of the AIS, (senior editor, 2013-present); MIS Quarterly (Ad hoc senior editor, 2010)
- Guest associate editor, Information Systems Research, 2009
- Program co-chair, International Federation on Information Processing Conference, 2012
- Review board member, MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Management Science and the Journal of Management Information Systems, among others