Maria T. Caban-Garcia
Campus: St. Petersburg
Room: LPH 319H
Maria T. Caban-Garcia is an associate professor at the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy in St. Petersburg. She began at USF in 2004 and primarily teaches financial accounting at the upper undergraduate level and has taught financial statement analysis at the graduate level. She also has experience teaching courses in fully online delivery formats.
Caban-Garcia was the Skoda Minotti Faculty Scholar of Accounting from August 2018 to June 2020 and served as the interim chair of the program of accountancy at USF in St. Petersburg from January 2019 to June 2020.
Her research interests are in the areas of financial accounting and auditing with an emphasis in international topics. She has published articles in several academic and practitioner’s journals, including the British Accounting Review, the Journal of International Accounting Research, Strategic Finance, and Internal Auditing. She was the recipient of the "Best International Business Paper Award," from the Center of Excellence in International Business at Youngstown State University and received a Certificate of Merit from the Institute of Management Accountants' Lybrand Awards Manuscript Competition.
Caban-Garcia earned a PhD in accountancy from the University of Missouri-Columbia, a master's degree in accounting from State University of New York-Albany and bachelors’ degrees in economics and accounting from the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez. She is a CPA licensed to practice in both Puerto Rico and Florida.
- ACG 3113 Intermediate Financial Accounting II
- ACG 4123 Intermediate Financial Accounting III
- Pacini, C.J., Stowell, N.F. & Caban-Garcia, M. T. (2020). A forensic accountant's guide to the most potent federal laws used against healthcare fraud. Forthcoming in the Journal of Forensic & Investigative Accounting.
- Caban-Garcia, M., Choi, H. & Kim, M. (2020). The effects of operating cash flow disclosure on earnings comparability, analysts' forecasts, and firms' investment decisions during the pre-IFRS era. British Accounting Review, 52 (4).
- Caban-Garcia, M., Figueroa, C. & Petruska, K. (2017). The impact of culture on internal control weaknesses: Evidence from firms that cross-list in the U.S. Journal of International Accounting Research, 16(3), 119-145.
- Caban-Garcia, M.T. (2017). Anti-bribery efforts in Brazil: How effective can they be?. Strategic Finance, 98(9), 48-53.
- Caban-Garcia, M.T., Petruska, K. & Figueroa, C. (2015). Foreign firms' mandatory reporting of material weakness in internal controls. Internal Auditing, 30(6), 24-33.
- Caban-Garcia, M.T. & He, H. (2013). Comparability of Earnings in Scandinavian Countries: The Impact of Mandatory IFRS Adoption and Stock Exchange Consolidations. Journal of International Accounting Research, 12(1), 55-76.
Co-Chair, American Accounting Association International Accounting Section Regionals Programs Committee, August 2019-Present
- Member, University of South Florida, St. Petersburg Campus Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Issues of Diversity, and Inclusive Community (CADIC), Fall 2020-Present
- Member, University of South Florida St. Petersburg Global Initiatives Advisory Council, 2018-2020