Russell Clayton is an assistant professor of instruction in the School of Marketing and Innovation, teaching MBA courses on managerial communication.
His research has been published in the Harvard Business Review and has he been mentioned in and/or written for such popular press outlets as Psychology Today, NBC News, Fox News, Inc. and Fast Company. In addition, his research has appeared in several peer-reviewed academic journals such as Human Resource Management and he serves on the editorial board of Management Teaching Review. He was awarded the 2020 Mid-Career Distinguished Educator Award by the Management & Organizational Behavior Teaching Society and was voted 2021-2022 “Professor of the Year” by the Executive MBA students in the Muma College of Business.
Clayton earned a PhD in business administration from the University of Mississippi, a master's degree in higher education administration from Middle Tennessee State University and a bachelor's degree in business administration from Auburn University.
- GEB 6215 - Communication Skills
Stratton, M., Clayton, R. W., Schaffer, B., & Julien, M., (2022). Mutiny in the Band of Brothers: A juxtaposition of two leaders. Management Teaching Review. 7, 180-192.
Ruble, M. J., Cole, J. D., Weiss, S. S., Clayton, R. W., Weiss, L. (2022). The relationship between pharmacist emotional intelligence, occupational stress, job performance, and psychological affective well-being. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 62, 120-124.
- Sukup, L., & Clayton, R. W. (2021) "Examining the Effects of Resilience on Stress and Academic Performance in Business Undergraduate College Students," College Student Journal, 3, 293-304
- Clayton, R. W. (2020) "How Regular Exercise Helps You Balance Work and Family, HBR Working Parents Series – Taking Care of Yourself," Harvard Business Review Press
- Julien, M., Clayton, R. W., & Stratton, M. (2020) "Who’s on First: A Resource on Workplace Communication," Management Teaching Review (accpeted and forthcoming)
- Kubasek, S., & Clayton, R. W. (2019) "Donor Motivation: Are there Differences between Traditional and Nontraditional Alumni Donor Motivations?" Journal of Education Advancement & Marketing, 4, 185-205.
- Clayton, R. W., (2018) "Can You Afford to Change Your Career?" Harvard Business Review. August 29, 2018.
- Julien, M., Stratton, M., & Clayton, R. W., (2017) "History Is Not Boring: Using Social Media to Bring Labor History Alive," Management Teaching Review, 1-13.