Greg Greenhalgh is a professor with the USF Vinik Sport & Entertainment Management Program in the Muma College of Business. Prior to joining the program, Greenhalgh spent nine years at the Center for Sport Leadership at Virginia Commonwealth University. And prior to that, he taught in the Sport Administration Department at the University of Louisville.
Greenhalgh’s primary research interest focuses on the marketing of sport organizations, specifically investigating what attracts fans and sponsors to niche, or non-mainstream, sports and how these sports can position themselves to be more sustainable in the future. His other research interests include consumer behavior, sport and the natural environment. Currently, he has articles published in the Journal of Sport Management, Sport Management Review, Sport Marketing Quarterly, the International Journal of Sport Communication, the International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, the International Journal of Sport Management & Marketing and the Marketing Management Journal. Greenhalgh has presented at several national and international conferences including the North American Society for Sport Management, the Sport Marketing Association, the European Association of Sport Management and the American Marketing Association.
In the classroom, Greenhalgh focuses on sport marketing, sales and fundraising and serves as a faculty internship coordinator, working with Tampa Bay Lightning, USF Athletics, Minor League Baseball, United Soccer League, Tampa Bay Rowdies, the Tampa Bay Inferno and Disney’s Wide World of Sports.
He has spent several years in the sport industry. He was the FieldTurf representative, attending and representing the company at Super Bowl XL and the NCAA Convention. He also was the assistant manager of a small hockey- and lacrosse-focused pro shop for nearly 10 years and also interned with the Professional Hockey Player’s Association.
He earned a PhD at the University of Louisville, a master's degree in sport administration from Central Michigan University and a bachelor’s degree in sport management from Brock University.
- SPB 6715 – Sale & Fundraising in Sport
- SPB 6946 – Internship in Sport & Entertainment
- SPB 4712 – Sport Marketing
- Goebert, C. & Greenhalgh, G. (forthcoming) "A New Reality: Fan Perceptions of Augmented Reality Readiness in Sport Marketing," Computers in Human Behavior
- LeCrom, C. W., Dwyer, B., & Greenhalgh, G. P. (forthcoming) "Theory Creation in Sport for Development: Reflections on Barriers and Challenges," Journal of Sport Management.
- Greenhalgh, G. P. & Drayer, J. (forthcoming) "An Assessment of Fans’ Willingness to Pay for Teams" Environmental Sustainability Initiatives," Sport Marketing Quarterly.
- Gellock, J. L., Eckholm, E., Greenhalgh, G. P., LeCrom, C. W., Reina, C., & Kudesia, R. S. (2019) "Women’s Lacrosse Players’ Perceptions of Teammate Leadership: Examining Athlete Leadership Behaviors, Attributes, and Interactions," Journal of Athlete Development and Experience, 1(2), 66-76.
- LeCrom, C.W., Martin, T., Dwyer, B., Greenhalgh, G. (2019) "The Role of Management in Achieving Health Outcomes in SFD Programmes: A Stakeholder Perspective," Sport Management Review, 22, 53-67.