Professor of Instruction
Room: BSN 3517
Phone: (813) 974-6893
Fax: (813) 905-9964
Sharon Hanna-West is a Muma College of Business graduate programs' faculty member and the director of the Sustainable Business Concentration at the Patel College of Global Sustainability. She teaches in the USF Muma College of Business-Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola program in Lima, Peru, and is the former USF Exide Distinguished Lecturer in Ethics and Sustainability. Her former business experience includes the founding of a multi-million-dollar corporation engaged in international trade. She teaches courses in ethics and sustainable business practices in the School of Marketing and Innovation.
Active in growth management and sustainability issues, Hanna-West studies sustainable solutions to help businesses respond to the challenges posed by climate change with a goal of making them affordable and profitable. She coordinated USF's first business and sustainability symposium in 2006, which brought area businesses into a dialogue about sustainability. She then chaired a multi-disciplinary sustainability expo at the USF Sun Dome in 2008 and a state-wide sustainability conference and expo in 2009. Hanna-West developed the Building Sustainable Enterprise Concentration for the USF MBA program and teaches several related courses. She is a frequent lecturer and media commentator on business sustainability, ethics and environmentally friendly business practices.
Hanna-West earned a Juris Doctorate from the University of Florida, where she focused on environmental law.
- GEB 6445 Social, Ethical & Legal Systems
- GEB 6457 Ethics, Law and Sustainable Business Practices
Hanna-West's work has been focused on engaging key stakeholders in the process of positive change and facilitating a shared, strategic vision among business leaders. She has directed student sustainability applied research on many corporations and organizations and believes in giving students opportunities to apply tools learned in the classroom to real-life cases to improve organizations' sustainable performance. She works individually with many students on internships and directed studies focusing on various organizational sustainability initiatives, and mentors several study-abroad students.
- Coordinated the first Building Sustainable Enterprise Symposium at USF in 2006 that expanded into a multi-discipline, business sustainability symposium in 2007
- Formed a committee and partnered with the Hillsborough City/County Planning Commission to host the first Getting Green by Going Green business sustainability expo at the USF Sun Dome
- Co-chaired the USF Sustainability Steering Committee which led to the creation of the USF Office of Sustainability
- Chaired the committees that hosted the combined statewide Campus and Community Sustainability Conference and Business EXPO in October 2009
- Member, Mayor's Energy Task Force 2010
- Member, USF Reputation Task Force 2011
- Chair, President's Council on Academic Integrity 2011-2014
- Director, Sustainable Business Concentration, Patel College of Global Sustainabiity
- Member, Environmental Lands Acquisition Committee, Pasco County, Florida, 2017-present