Alan R. Hevner is a Distinguished University Professor and Eminent Scholar in the School of Information Systems and Management in the Muma College of Business at the University of South Florida. He holds the Citigroup/Hidden River Chair of Distributed Technology.
Hevner's areas of research interest include design science research, digital innovation, information systems development, software engineering, distributed database systems, and healthcare systems. He has published over 300 research papers on these topics with nearly 30,000 citations to his papers.
Hevner received a PhD in computer science from Purdue University. He has held faculty positions at the University of Maryland and the University of Minnesota. Hevner is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, a Fellow of the Association for Information Systems, and a Fellow of IEEE. He is a member of ACM and INFORMS.
Additional honors include selection as a Parnas Fellow at Lero, the Irish software research center, a Schoeller Senior Fellow at Friedrich Alexander University in Germany, and the 2018 Distinguished Alumnus award from the Purdue University Computer Science Department. From 2006 to 2009, he served as a program manager at the U.S. National Science Foundation in the Computer and Information Science and Engineering Directorate.
- ISM 6124 - Advanced Information Systems Analysis & Design
- ISM 6145 - Software Testing
- ISM 7911 - Seminar on Technical IT Research
- A.Hevner and R. Linger, (2019), “Augmenting Internet of Things (IoT) Architectures with Semantic Capabilities,” Chapter in The Art of Structuring: Bridging the Gap Between Information Systems Research and Practice, K. Bergener, M. Rackers, and A. Stein, Editors, Springer, pp. 397-407.
- A. Hevner, J. vom Brocke, and A. Maedche, (Eds), (2019), Special Issue on Design Science Research and Innovation, Business and Information Systems Engineering, 61(1).
- A. Hevner and N. Wickramasinghe, (2018), “Design Science Research Opportunities in Health Care,” Chapter 1 in Theories to Inform Superior Health Informatics Research and Practice, N. Wickramasinghe and J. Schaffer, Editors, Springer, pp. 3-18.
- A. Maedche, J. vom Brocke, and A. Hevner, Editors, (2017),"Designing the Digital Transformation," presented at the 12th International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 10243.
- A. Hevner, (2014), “Design Science Research,” Chapter 29 in Information Systems and Information Technology, Volume 2 (Computing Handbook, Third Edition) edited by H. Topi and A. Tucker. Boca Raton: Chapman and Hall/CRC.
- M. Tremblay, A. Hevner, and D. Berndt, (2012), "Design of an Information Volatility Measure for Health Care Decision Making," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 331-341.
- Senior editor, Management Information Systems Quarterly, the top-ranked IS journal
- Recipient, Lifetime Achievement Award for his contributions to design research
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Faculty Group, 1996-present
- Member, Purdue University President's Council, 2000-present