Associate Professor of Instruction
Room: BSN 3325
Phone: (813) 974-4186
Kerry Myers teaches graduate classes on forensic accounting, which includes the topics of white-collar crime, fraud, money laundering and financial investigation at the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy. He is also part of the Florida Center for Cybersecurity.
Prior to joining USF, Myers worked for 25 years as both an attorney and an accountant with the FBI. He was one of the original members of the Tampa Bay Bank Fraud Task Force and also served on the Tampa Joint Terrorism Task Force. He was a certified bomb technician with the FBI and worked the Oklahoma City bombing, the Centennial Park bombing in Atlanta and the TWA Flight 800 crash off of Long Island Sound. He testified against both Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols during their respective trials and his FBI terrorism financing and bombing investigations have taken him to Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Qatar, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Thailand and Greece. Myers received the Federal Law Enforcement Officers' Association Annual Award for Bravery in 2008 for his work in Afghanistan with improvised explosive devices and a Director's Award from then-FBI Director Louis Freeh for leading a national terrorism undercover operation.
Myers earned a Juris doctorate, with distinction, from the University of Missouri and a bachelor's degree in business administration-accounting, summa cum laude, from Central Missouri State University. He is a Certified Fraud Examiner and is licensed to practice law in Missouri, where he was a trial attorney and prosecutor for almost a decade before joining the FBI.
- ACG 6688 - Forensic Accounting and Legal Issues
- BUL 3320 - Law and the Business Environment
- BUL 5842 - Risk Management and Legal Compliance
- Myers, K. (2019), California Proposes Guidance for CCPA/Data Privacy Law Update, Journal of Accountancy-Online Edition, Dec. 2019.
- Myers, K., Lively, H., & Andrews, C. (2019), New Laws Bring Much Tougher Data Protections, Journal of Accountancy, Nov. 2019.
- Myers, K., (2019) DOJ Relaxes the Standard to Receive Cooperation Credit for Criminal and Civil Corporate Misconduct. The Arkansas Lawyer 54 (2)
- Myers, K. and Andrews, C., (2016), "A Practitioner's Guide to the Florida Cyber Breach Notification Statute," Florida CPA Today
- Myers, K., (1979) Crown v. Commissioner: A New Perspective on Income, Gift and Estate Tax Avoidance. University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law 48 (Rev. 84.).
- USF Muma College of Business Faculty Teaching Support Team, 2020-Present
- USF Muma College of Business, USF Marketing Faculty Search Committee, Spring 2020
- USF Muma College of Business Online Course Strategies Committee, 2017-Present
- USF Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy Teaching Continuity Task Force, Chair 2020 - Present
- Senator, USF Faculty Senate, 2018-2021
- Member, Muma College of Business Exceptional Ethical Student Selection Committee in the Business Honors Program, 2018
- Member, Muma College of Business Excellence in Teaching Selection Committee, 2016-2017
- Member, Muma College of Business Student Success Committee, 2017-present
- Member, Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy Scholarship Committee, 2017-present
- Judge, USF Mock Trial Team Competition, 2018
- Terrorism/Explosives SME consultant for, and appearance in, PBS FRONTLINE “Documenting Hate-New American Nazis," Executive Producer Nick Verbitsky, Blue Chip Films and A. C. Thompson, ProPublica, Nov. 20, 2018.
- Money laundering SME and consultant for, and appearance in, the eight episode satirical documentary "This Giant Beast That Is The Global Economy" developed by Executive Producer Will Ferrell and director Adams McVay ("The Big Short" and "Vice") for the Amazon Prime Network and hosted by Kal Penn, Feb. 22, 2019.
- Listed as a “Featured Expert on Money Laundering” by ForensicColleges.com
- Forensic Accounting SME for Tampa Bay Times regarding fraud investigations of CareerSource Pinellas and CareerSource Tampa Bay.
- Money laundering/terrorism SME for CNN, Bloomberg News, ABC Good Morning America, The Tampa Tribune and numerous other media and publishing companies.