Professor of Instruction
Exide Professor of Finance and Real Estate
Room: BSN 3528
Greg Smersh is director of the advisory board for the Real Estate Society at USF and teaches finance and real estate in the Kate Tiedemann School of Business and Finance. His academic research has investigated the variation in house price appreciation due to risk factors such as hurricanes and sinkholes. His seminal paper on pricing residential amenities in the Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 1998 has been cited more than 700 times.
Prior to joining USF in 2009, Smersh was in the construction industry and worked as a consultant for the CCIM Institute. He has done consulting work for real-estate developers throughout the state of Florida and held visiting positions at other Florida universities. He currently teaches the 100 percent online section of Principles of Finance along with several sections of the Real Estate Decision Making elective course.
Smersh earned a PhD from the University of Florida, an MBA from Western Washington University and a bachelor's degree from the University of Washington.
- FIN 3403 - Principles of Finance
- REE 3043 - Real Estate Decision Making
- REE 6045 - Real Estate Decisions
- Dumm, R., C. Nyce and S. Sirmans and G. Smersh (2022) "Pricing Moral Hazard in Residential Properties: The Impact of Sinkhole Claims on House Prices," Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 64, Number 1.
- Smersh, G., R. Dumm and S. Sirmans (2018) "Sinkholes and Residential Property Prices: Presence, Proximity, and Density," Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol. 40, Issue 1.
- Dumm, R., S. Sirmans, G. Smersh and T. Greg (2016) "Price Variation in Waterfront Properties Over the Economic Cycle," Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol. 38, Issue 1.
- Nyce, C., R. Dumm, S. Sirmans and G. Smersh (2015) "The Capitalization of Homeowners Insurance Premiums in House Prices," Journal of Risk and Insurance, Vol. 82, Issue 4.
- Dumm, R., S. Sirmans and G. Smersh (2012) "Building Codes, Wind Contours, and House Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol. 34, Number 1
- Nyce, C., R. Dumm, S. Sirmans and G. Smersh (2011) "The Capitalization of Building Codes in House Prices," Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 42, Number 1.
- Faculty advisor, Real Estate Society at USF
- Ad hoc reviewer, various academic journals and publishers
- Certified instructor, ARGUS Valuation - DCF™
- Member, USF Sustainable Cities Working Group