Offered on USF's Tampa campus
The Education Specialist (Ed.S.) in Educational Leadership is a program consisting of coursework beyond the Master’s degree. The program is designed for experienced administrators seeking to develop their capacity to lead "turnaround" or lower performing schools.
The Ed.S. is an advanced graduate degree program that allows students to focus on becoming effective school leaders with the skills and experience to address turnaround and underperforming school contexts. Coursework in this program is specifically designed in consultation with leadership development personnel and district-level administrators in partnering school districts.
Students in this program develop their ability to make student-centered decisions through integration of rigorous analysis of theory, research, and exemplary practices. An appreciative inquiry orientation and applied capstone project enables candidates to work in teams. These teams develop an improvement report and intervention plan based on analysis of literature related to:
- School improvement and turnaround strategies
- Informed and responsible use of school data, including climate and culture inventories
- Ethical, political, cultural and critical perspectives on school sustainable school leadership
- Asset-based approaches to school improvement
- Knowledge of effective program models or cases