Faculty & Staff
Dr. Ramon Gonzalez
Professor of chemical, biological, and materials engineering and Florida 21st Century World Class Scholar
Phone: (813) 974-1223
Honors & Awards
- Tiangong Forum Lecture, Tianjin Institute of Industrial Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (TIB-CAS), Tianjin, China, 2019
- Elected Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2018.
- AIChE Food, Pharmaceutical, and Bioengineering Division 15C Plenary Award, AIChE Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, 2017.
- American Society for Microbiology Distinguished Lecturer (ASMDL), ASMDL Program, 2015-2019.
- Keynote Lecture, Emerging Technologies in Clean Energy Keynote, 2014 AIChE Spring
Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 2014.
Keynote Lecture, Biofuels and Sustainable Energy Session, Division of Biochemical Technology, 247th ACS National Meeting, Dallas, TX, 2014.
- Eugene Goldschmidt Lecture, Texas Branch American Society for Microbiology Spring
SDA/NBB Glycerine Innovation Research Award, American Oil Chemists' Society, 2010.
- NSF Faculty Early Career (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation, 2007.
Education & Training
Postdoctoral research,Microbiology and Cell Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida (2001-2002)
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Chile (2001)
M.Sc., Biochemical Engineering, Pontifical Catholic University of Valparaíso, Chile (1999)
B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Central University “Marta Abreu” of Las Villas, Cuba (1993)
The Metabolic Engineering and Biomanufacturing laboratory led by Dr. Ramon Gonzales focuses on engineering native and synthetic pathways for the production of small organic molecules with applications in the energy, chemical, and pharmaceutical industries.