Know This!

Citizenship Eligibility

Eligible statuses are:

The following are acceptable documentation of citizenship or eligible non-citizenship:
Note: All citizenship documentation must be presented in person. If you are taking all online courses, and cannot present your documentation in person, contact our office.

US Citizens Eligible non-citizens
  • Birth certificate showing that you were born in the United States, which includes Puerto Rico (on or after January 13, 1941), Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands (on or after January 17, 1917), American Samoa, Swain's Island, or the Northern Mariana Islands, unless the person was born to foreign diplomats residing in the U.S.
  • A U.S. passport, current or expired.
  • Form FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad), FS- 545 (Certificate of birth issued by a foreign service post), or DS-1350 (Certification of Report of Birth).
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561), issued by USCIS to individuals who derive U.S. citizenship through a parent.
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570), issued by USCIS through a federal or state court, or through administrative naturalization after December 1990 to those who are individually naturalized.
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card I-151
  • Resident Alien Card I-551
  • Permanent Resident Card I-551
  • Arrival-Departure Record (CBP Form I-94) or Departure Record (From I-94A)
  • For permanent resident status, must be stamped "Processed for I 551" with expiration date or "Temporary Form I-551" with appropriate information filled in. For other eligible noncitizens, must be stamped as Refugee, Asylum Status, Conditional Entrant (before April 1, 1980), Parolee, or Cuban-Haitian Entrant.
  • United States Travel Document
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV)
    • The MRIV appears in the holder's (foreign) passport. If the passport is unexpired and endorsed with an admission stamp and the statement "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year,".