Outdoors & Aquatics
About Adventure Trips
Fall Adventure Trips
- Where will you adventure to this summer? Find your adventure with Adventure Trips!
See below for our local, national, and international fall adventure trip options.
Puerto Rico Variety Adventure
|Date||December 9-14, 2023|
|Location||San Juan, PR|
10,000 Islands Sea Kayaking Expedition
|Date||December 9-14, 2023|
|Location||Everglades National Park, FL|
Skiing in North Carolina
|Location||Beech Mountain, North Carolina|
Come experience one of nature's most unique and breathtaking phenomenon right here in Florida! Only a handful of locations in the world experience "bioluminescence" where movement in the water creates a blue-green glowing effect that mesmerizes you. This trip cannot be fully described, but needs to be experienced! There are multiple biolum trips throughout the summer so be sure to look at all the dates!
September 15 + 16
October 13 +14
Kayaking through Weedon Island
Weedon Island is a beautiful aquatic and upland preserve near St Petersburg, FL with remarkable kayaking trails through the mangrove island. We will spend the day kayaking through tunnels in the mangroves and getting beautiful views of Tampa Bay.
|Date||August 26, 2023|
|Location||St. Petersburg, FL|
Whitewater Rafting Adventure
Get THRILLED and come whitewater rafting with USF Outdoor Rec! We'll spend the weeking camping, hiking, and whitewater rafting down the famous Chattahoochee River. No experience necessary, this trip is perfect for an amazing experience!
|Date(s)||September 22-24, 2023|
Kayaking + Beach Day on Caladesi Island
|Date||October 29, 2023|
Come experience the Hillsborough River at it's most beautiful, during sunset! Join us for a guided paddle on the river from the USF Riverfront Park Boathouse with some of our Adventure Trip Leaders!
|Date(s) + Time||
Sept 5 | 6:45-8:45pm
Oct 3 | 6:45-8:45pm
Nov 7 | 4:45-6:30pm
Dec 5 | 4:45-6:30pm
|Location||Riverfront Park Boathouse|
Camp + Explore Amelia Island
Camp and Snorkel at Florida Springs
Caving + Hiking in Tennessee
|Date(s)||September 29-October 1|
Hiking through Providence Canyon
Fall Foliage Hiking
|Location||Charlotte, North Carolina|
Appalachian Foothills Backpacking
|Location||Foothills Trail, South Carolina|
Snorkel + Beach
Snorkeling at Rainbow Springs
We'll be spending the day relaxing at one of Florida's most beautiful springs and exploring the trails around the State Park. Bring your swimsuits and prepare yourself for the spring's year-round 72 F water! (22 C)
Snorkeling at Devil's Den + Rainbow Springs
This trip will allow participants to experience one of Florida’s natural wonders and hopefully see some marine life that they have never seen before. We will spend the morning snorkeling in one of Florida's only cenotes, and then go to Rainbow Springs to snorkel in some of the clearest water in the country.
Learn to Surf
Come join USF as we hit the waves near famous Cocoa Beach! This trip is ideal for beginners who have always wanted to learn to surf!
|Location||Cocoa Beach, Florida|
Camp and Snorkel at Florida Springs
RecWell Beach Retreat
|Location||Honeymoon Island, Florida|
Snorkeling at Alexander Springs
Tubing + Snorkeling the Icketucknee River
|Location||High Spring, FL|
Mountain Bike Mondays
Mountain Biking at Balm Boyette
Bike to Beach at Honeymoon Island
Tampa Bay is known for its scenic bike trails, so join us each month as we explore Tampa by bike!
Rock Climb in Tennessee
Mindfullness Walking Information
Take some time to be present with yourself in nature. Join us for a walk around the green spaces on campus, including guided mindfulness activities.
|Date(s) + Time||
September 20 (5pm)
October 18 (5pm)
November 29 (4pm)
MLK Fountain near Marshall Student Center
About Our Adventure Trip Program
USF RecWell’s Adventure Trip Program eliminates barriers for you to get outdoors and connect with the natural world on various adventures.
Do you want to try something new, meet new people, or see fascinating things in nature? How about all three! Most of our trips are beginner friendly, additionally transportation, gear, food, and trip leaders are provided.
So whether you want to explore Florida more through our Passport to Florida programs, travel throughout the United States on trips experience nature through activities like hiking, caving, whitewater rafting, and backpacking, or you want to take a journey outside the US on one of our Adventure Abroad trips, we have an adventure for everyone!
In addition to pre-planned experiences, we offer custom trips for student organizations, friend groups, or University departments!
How to Register
What to Expect
- On most trips, you don’t need any experience. Really! If a trip requires experience, we’ll indicate what experience you should have on the Registration page.
- After signing up for a trip, within 1-2 weeks before the trip your Trip Leader will reach out with all of the information you will need, including meet up location, what you need to pack, and any other specifics for your trip.
- Overnight trips will include a pre-trip meeting. This meeting is mandatory for trip participants. It will include valuable information, such as appropriate
clothing, necessary gear, what food to bring, the trip plan, and any necessary paperwork.
- Once you sign up staff will be in contact about 2-3 weeks before the trip to schedule this meeting.
Adventure Trips Categories
- Not sure what kind of adventure you’re seeking? Maybe these categories will help you
narrow down what you’re looking for!
Adventure Trip Categories
Local Adventure – Explore Tampa Bay and it’s natural setting whether it is on the bike on Downtown’s Riverwalk, kayaking through Weedon Island, or walking through Ybor City.
Urban Exploration - Adventure is everywhere, we will experience some of the great outdoors around some of our favorite urban areas.
Passport to Florida - See the real Florida at some of America’s best State Parks and natural beauties all across the state including springs, beaches, and forests.
Classic - Hiking, trekking, biking, paddling, and camping adventures, made for beginners and outdoor types.
Appalachian Adventure – Come with us on a trip to the mountains. We will explore one of the oldest mountain ranges on the Earth; hiking, camping, and backpacking through its rolling peaks and cascading waterfalls.
Adventure With Confidence - Come out and learn a new skill or improve your current skills. These trips are meant to provide a hands-on experience for anyone wanting to try new ways to get outside!
Adventure Abroad - Want to travel the world, off the beaten path? Take trips around the world, exploring some of nature’s most specular places and immersing ourselves in the local culture. Getting to spend time outdoors in remote landscapes, as well as explore the local culture in cities and towns along the way.
Nature Rx – Reconnect with the natural world and yourself. Discover awe-inspiring destinations combined with rejuvenating activities like mindfulness walks, plant identification, yoga and meditation to recharge the body and nourish the mind.
View Our Trip Policies Here!
- We want our trips to be safe, fun, and memorable.
- Due to weather and other safety concerns, trip itineraries are subject to change.
- Trip Leaders will communicate any changes in a timely manner.
- Outdoor Recreation practices strong Leave No Trace ethics. (LNT.org) Pack it in, pack it out!
- All students participating in Recreation & Wellness Programs are expected to follow
the University of South Florida Student Code of Conduct.
- Should violations of said Code occur, participants risk expulsion from the trip and barring from participation in future programs.
- Outdoor Recreation does not condone hate speech, bullying, emotional or physical abuse, or racism on any of our trips. Use of such language or actions could result in expulsion from the program. We pride ourselves in a creating an inclusive community space where meaningful dialogues and personal growth can take place.
- Adventure Trips are Alcohol Alternative Programs, therefore no alcohol is allowed to be consumed during the trip. Any underage consumption could result in University judicial consequences.
- No illicit drugs or drug paraphernalia are allowed on trips in any fashion. Breach of this rule will result in an immediate expulsion from the trip and could result in University judicial consequences.
- We reserve the right to cancel a program due to inclement weather, natural disasters,
or extenuating circumstances.
- In the event we must cancel a program, a full trip refund will be provided.
- You can find the full refund policy on the Trip Registration page.