Thank you for your interest in the USF Bachelor of General Studies. To complete the application process, please follow the steps below. If you need help, contact the BGS program advisor.
Step 1: Apply for Admission
You must apply for undergraduate admission to the Tampa campus through the USF Office of Admissions. Expect this process to take anywhere from four to six weeks.
Please note this exception: If you are already a current USF student who meets the criteria for the BGS (three year break in your education, 60 or more semester hours, and you are working on your first bachelor's degree), please begin your application with Step 2.
You will need to submit the following documents to be considered for admission to the university:
- Complete the application for admission.
- Pay the non-refundable $30 application fee.
- Provide your official TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable.
- Provide your official transcript from each college or university you attended, to include military credits and CLEP scores. Please note that review of your application will be expedited if you send your transcripts electronically.
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
4202 E Fowler Avenue, SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620
Step 2: Select Your Concentration
You will take an active role in creating your academic program. View the concentrations available, and select the one that's right for you.
Step 3: Apply to the BGS Program
You must apply to the BGS program through USF Innovative Education. Expect this process to take up to two weeks.
You will need to submit the following documents to be considered for admission to the program:
- Fill out the Bachelor of General Studies Program Application form online, then print it and send it in with the following documents.
- Provide two letters of recommendation from former or current supervisors, co-workers, community group leaders, etc.
- Write a personal goal statement, including one or two pages telling us why you are returning to college, the challenges you may face, your intended concentration, how you plan to use your degree, and any personal circumstances you would like considered when your application is reviewed.
- Include a current professional resume.
Mail these documents to:
University of South Florida
Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) Program
USF Innovative Education
4202 E. Fowler Ave., SVC 1072
Tampa, FL 33620
Step 4: Interview with an Advisor
After your application has been processed, you may be invited to interview with the BGS program advisor and academic advisors from your concentration area(s). The interview will consist of questions based on the information you have provided through your application and the requirements of the degree. While campus interviews are preferred, phone interviews can be arranged if necessary.
Step 5: Register for Courses
In order to ensure timely progress toward graduation, you are encouraged to make an appointment with the BGS program advisor every semester. The BGS program advisor will assist you in selecting courses and providing resources.