Potential utility failures may include power outages, water outages, and gas outages/leaks. Keep in mind these failures may occur without warning.
While the University is equipped with generators that will power emergency lights and fire safety equipment in some buildings on campus, in the event of a power outage evacuation may be required for safety reasons.
In the event of a power outage:
- Contact your campus facilities department immediately.
- If a person is in danger or has special needs, call 9-1-1 for assistance.
- Remain calm and follow the instructions of public safety officials.
- Move to an area with emergency lighting and help/instruct others to do the same.
In the event of a water outage/leak:
- Report it to your campus facilities department immediately and protect any important equipment if necessary in the event of a gas outage/leak
- If there is a leak, evacuate the area as soon as possible, and contact 9-1-1 and your campus facilities department immediately
- Ensure that you provide a detailed report, including the location and any injuries