Office: CIS 3091
Katya Komarova has been teaching public relations and advertising at the Zimmerman School of Advertising & Mass Communications since August 2016. As part of her signature service-learning Campaigns class, USF students have developed integrated communications campaigns for 100 local businesses and nonprofit organizations in Tampa Bay (2016-2020). Katya has ten years of experience in public relations and integrated communications in the UK, Russia, Ukraine, and the USA, both with agencies and in-house.
"In the classroom, I create a professional agency environment where students interact with real clients, conduct research using the latest software, brainstorm, and closely monitor the news agenda. Every class starts with a brief discussion of the biggest news stories of the day. My goal as an instructor is to boost the potential of ambitious, passionate students and spark enthusiasm among those who have not yet demonstrated interest in the profession."
Katya loves inspiring young people and sharing her passion for the ever-evolving field of integrated communications. A member of PRSA, she counsels students and recent graduates on career planning and professional development.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/INTERESTS
Corporate communications strategy and execution, campaign management, media relations, crisis communication, issue management, project management, multi-stakeholder and multi-brand engagement, corporate social responsibility (CSR) strategy, and integrated marketing communications.
- M.A., Public Communication and Public Relations, University of Westminster, London, UK (2007-2008)
- B.A., International Economics, Odessa National Economics University, Ukraine (2002-2006)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)® certificate, Project Management Institute (2018)
Katya joined USF from consumer technology startup Houzz, where she was the Communications Director for Russia. Before Houzz, Katya was the Deputy Practice Leader of Corporate and Financial Communications at the R.I.M. Porter Novelli agency in Moscow, Russia. One of the campaigns she designed and implemented, Take Children to The Movies, was shortlisted for SABRE Awards EMEA 2016. Previously, Katya was Vice President at Willard, Ukraine's oldest PR consultancy, and Account Executive with Tetra Strategy, a political communications firm in London, UK.
USF since 2016
- Advanced Public Relations (taught as Integrated Campaigns), PUR4801: Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Summer 2017, Fall 2018, Summer 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020
- Advertising Campaigns (taught as Integrated Campaigns), ADV4800: Summer 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Summer 2020
- Public Relations Issues, PUR4401: Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Summer 2017, Fall 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019
- Public Relations Research, PUR3500: Spring 2017, Fall 2018, Spring 2020
- Advertising Internship (advising USF student-run agency KnoBull): Spring 2017, Fall 2018, Spring 2019
Public Relations Campaigns, PR Research, Media Strategy, Advertising Campaigns, Integrated Marketing Communications