The Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence (ATLE) supports full-time faculty (Professors, Associate/Assistant Professors, and Instructors) on the USF Tampa and USFSM campuses.
- Faculty Liaisons: Full-time faculty members who serve as a communication bridge between their home departments/schools and ATLE.
Full-time faculty may be interested in the following opportunities, which promote and facilitate collegial, interdisciplinary interaction:
- Faculty Learning Communities (FLCs): Cross-disciplinary groups of faculty who engage in a semester-long (typically Fall) exploration of a topic related to teaching and/or learning.
- Faculty Book Club: An informal, cross-disciplinary gathering of USF faculty who meet to discuss a variety of books related to teaching and learning.
- Peer Observation Groups: An opportunity for USF faculty to observe each other's classes in small teams and share data in a non-evaluative way that benefits both the observer and the instructor being observed.
- Canvas Camp: A one-day event, co-hosted with Innovative Education, that offers workshops and best practices on using Canvas.
- Green and Gold Champions: A year-long program to build community and academic expertise, culminating with a certificate and website distinction.
- Teaching Fair: Start the academic year with a showcase of teaching best practices, tips, campus resources, games and prizes.
- International Teachers' Day: A face-to-face single-day event to familiarize instructors and teaching assistants of international origin what to expect from American students, how to minimize language issues, and how to leverage best practices in teaching to avoid problems that could otherwise crop up.
- Tech Camp: An informal, day-long, drop-by seminar, held each summer, where various technologies for teaching are demonstrated.
- Summer Teaching Symposium (STS): A multi-day event that focuses on teaching and learning strategies and renewal ideas for faculty members.
Faculty Teaching Awards
There are several online resources that full-time faculty may find helpful:
- Faculty Glossary: A list of terms (and acronyms) related to teaching at USF.
- Higher Education Glossary: A list of terms (and acronyms) frequently used in Higher Education in the United States.
- Syllabus Template: A USF-specific template with lots of instructions and examples to help you craft your own syllabus.
- Starting the Semester: Information to help you plan and facilitate a successful first day of class.
- Faculty History: This online curriculum vita should be kept current to make annual evaluation and tenure application processes quicker and more streamlined.
- USF Teaching Essentials: An online course (free to USF instructional personnel) discussing best practices in teaching, from writing quizzes and delivering lectures, to effective classroom management and strong course design. This resource is available in Canvas, the university's learning management software (LMS).