ADJUNCT & AFFILIATED FACULTY
Burshnic-Neal, Vanessa, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Dr. Vanessa Neal is a speech-language pathologist and researcher specializing in memory and communication interventions for people with dementia. She received training in research related to adult neurogenic speech pathology and long-term care services during her PhD studies at the University of South Florida. Dr. Neal also completed a two-year post-doctoral fellowship with the Department of Veterans Affairs Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center (Durham, NC) where she received specialized training in geriatrics and served veterans with dementia and their care partners in an innovative home care program (COACH: Caring for Older Adults and Caregivers at Home). Her research interests include visual and text cues for supporting memory and communication in dementia, implementation science, and care partner training.
|Ph.D. Communication Sciences & Disorders||University of South Florida||2019|
|M.A. Speech-Language Pathology||Central Michigan University||2016|
|B.S. Communication Sciences and Disorders||James Madison University||2014|
- SPA 6410 | Aphasia and Related Disorders
Recent Scholarly Activity
- Burshnic-Neal, V. L., Knollman-Porter, K., Topper, R., McConnell, E., VanHaitsma, K., & Abbott, K. (In Press 2022) Examining face validity of visual stimuli used in preference assessments for older adults with communication impairments. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Behrens, L. L., Morgan, B., Summerhayes, E., Talwar, S., Burshnic-Neal, V. L., Ersek, M., & Hodgson, N. (2022). Feasibility and acceptability of a web-based advance care plan for dementia. Geriatric Nursing, 44, 251–258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2022.02.022
- Knollman-Porter, K.& Burshnic, V. L. (2020) Optimizing effective communication while wearing a mask during the COVID-19pandemic. Journal of Gerontological Nursing.11 (7-11). DOI: 10.3928/00989134-20201012-02
- Burshnic, V. L.& Bourgeois, M. S. (2020) A seat at the table: Supporting persons with severe dementia in communicating their preferences. Clinical Gerontologist. DOI: 10.1080/07317115.2020.1764686
- Burshnic-Neal, V.L. (2022) AAC for Dementia. In N.Hall, J. Juengling-Sudkamp, M.L. Gutmann, & E.R. Cohn (Eds.) Fundamentals of AAC: A Case-Based Approach to Enhancing Communication. Plural Publishing, Inc. ISBN13: 978-1-63550-353-1
- Burshnic-Neal, V.L., Knollman-Porter, K., Topper, R., McConnell, E., VanHaitsma, K. & Abbott, K. (Nov. 2021) A person-centered approach to designing multi-use stimuli for older adults with communication challenges. Oral presentation at the annual convention of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association, online.
- Burshnic-Neal, V.L., Knollman-Porter, K., Topper, R., McConnell, E., VanHaitsma, K., & Abbott, K. (Nov. 2021) Cognitive interviewing to evaluate the content validity of a photo-supported preference assessment. Symposium presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, online.
- Burshnic, V. L.(Feb. 2021) Supporting preference communication of people with dementia. Invited presentation at the Veterans Affairs Speech-Language Pathology Monthly Clinical Forum, online.
- Abbott, K., Heppner, A., Hermesch, A., Kasler, K., Poth, S.,Cinfio, B.,Burshnic, V. L., & Van Haitsma, K. (Dec. 2020). “build that relationship, that’s where it all begins”: Staff perceptions on the implementation of a person-centered communication intervention. Poster presentation at the 13th Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation, online.
- Davagnino, J., Burshnic, V.L., & Tetro, J. (Dec. 2020) Best practices in dementia care. Invited presentation at the Durham VAElder Care in Hospital (ECHo) FY21 Interprofessional Geriatric Conference, online.
- Madrigal, C., Behrens, L., & Burshnic, V. L. (Nov. 2020) Completely satisfied but: Barriers and facilitators to fulfilling nursing home residents’ preferences. Symposium presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, online.
- Burshnic, V. L., Knollman-Porter, K., McConnell, E., Collins, N., & Smith, E. (Nov. 2020). A person-centered approach to designing multi-use stimuli: Photograph supported preference assessment in long-term care. Proposal accepted at the Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, San Diego, CA(convention cancelled).
- Knollman-Porter, K., Burshnic, V.L., & Abbott, K. (Oct. 2020) Implementing an evidenced-based, person-centered care practice for long term service and support recipients. Oral presentation at the Annual Conference of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine, online.
- Burshnic, V.L. (March 2020) Memory and communication interventions for people with dementia. Invited presentation at Duke Geriatrics Grand Rounds, Durham, NC.