Conover, Laura, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Instruction
Office: PCD 4021H
Dr. Laura Conover is an Assistant Professor of Instruction in Communication Sciences and Disorders on the Tampa campus of the University of South Florida. Her teaching strategy focuses on ensuring that students not only understand the underlying theories for the concepts they are exposed to, but also that they have opportunities to apply those concepts to problems in the real world through interactive activities. Dr. Conover also has a particular interest in the application of research and statistical methodologies to cognitive and linguistic fields, and her research focuses on speech perception and cognitive aspects of language learning in adults. Outside of CSD, Dr. Conover has a hobbyist’s interest in historical English and constructed languages.
|Ph.D. in Communication Sciences and Disorders||University of South Florida||2021|
|Bachelor’s in Psychology, minor in Linguistics||University of South Florida||2015|
- Research Methods in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Introduction to Speech Science
- Introduction to Language Science
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism
Recent Scholarly Activity
- Conover, L. (2023), The direction of attention in second language phonological contrast learning. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 153 (6). https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0019714
- Conover, L. and Bahr, R. H. (2022), Covert contrasts and categorical perception: A comparison of two measurement tools. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics. DOI:10.1080/02699206.2021.2022212
- Grieco, J. C., Bahr, R. H., Schoenberg, M. R., Conover, L., Mackie, L. N. and Weeber, E. J. (2016), Quantitative Measurement of Communication Ability in Children with Angelman Syndrome. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 31. doi:10.1111/jar.12305
- Bahr, R., Silliman, E. R., & Conover, L. (in review). More than Spelling Accuracy: Linguistic Feature Patterns in the Misspellings of Superior, Average, and Poor Spellers
- Bahr, R., Gier, T., & Conover, L. (2018). Covert Contrast in the Early Development of Speech Sounds in Children Using Cochlear Implants. In Gosy, M. & Graczi, T. (eds), CAPSS 2017.