The Florida Legislature designated the Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute (FMHI), as a site for the Criminal Justice, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse Technical Assistance Center (CJMHSA TAC). FMHI is a research and training center within the University of South Florida's College of Behavioral & Community Sciences (CBCS) with a long history of collaborative relationships with community agencies and local and state governments. Specifically, the CJMHSA TAC is housed in CBCS' Department of Mental Health Law and Policy.
Funding for the CJMHSA Technical Assistance Center has been provided by the Florida Department of Children and Families - Office Substance Abuse and Mental Health.
Assistance we provide CJMHSA Reinvestment Applicants:
- Assist in the conceptualization of the Reinvestment Grant Program application;
- Assistance in identifying key stakeholders in the community;
- Provide off-site technical assistance via telephonically, electronic mail, or other electronic means; and
- Assist in the projecting the effect of the proposed intervention on the population of the county's detention facility.
Assistance we provide to CMHSA Reinvestment Grantees:
- Assist in monitoring the effect of a grant award on the criminal and/or juvenile justice systems;
- Conduct a technical assistance needs assessment survey;
- Provide assistance to grantees completing the technical assistance needs assessment survey;
- Conduct Sequential Intercept Mapping as part of a planned CJMHSA TAC Needs Assessment Survey priority;
- Provide technical assistance to planning grantees and implementation/expansion grantees;
- Disseminate and share evidence-based practices and programs and promising practices and programs among grantees;
- Serve as a clearinghouse for information and resources related to criminal justice, juvenile justice, mental health, and substance abuse issues in Florida;
- Coordinate and assist state interagency work groups for criminal and juvenile justice, mental health, and substance abuse; and
- Use grant outcomes to inform state and local policy.