Distinguished University Professor
ENB 330 | 813-974-4195
Dr. Lawrence Hall is a distinguished university professor of Computer Science and Engineering at University of South Florida (USF) in Tampa, FL. He received his PhD in Computer Science from the Florida State University (FSU) in 1986 and his BS in Applied Mathematics from the Florida Institute of Technology in 1980. He has authored or co-authored over 100 publications in journals, as well as many conference papers and book chapters. He did early work showing that unsupervised fuzzy clustering could be combined with a knowledge-based approach to segment brain tumors in an explainable manner. He has worked on scalable methods for fuzzy clustering and an evolutionary algorithm approach to optimizing fuzzy clusters. With labeled data, he has done work to learn good models of medical images from small data. Recent work has been using deep learning for social network activity prediction and medical image analysis. He has also done work with imbalanced data.
Dr. Hall has received funding from the National Institutes of Health, NASA, DOE, National Science Foundation, DARPA and others.
His research interests lie in distributed machine learning, data mining, pattern recognition and integrating AI into image processing. The exploitation of imprecision with the use of fuzzy logic in pattern recognition, AI and learning is a research theme.
Data mining; machine learning; operating systems; artificial intelligence; analysis of algorithms; programming
PhD in Computer Science, Florida State University (1986)
MS in Mathematics - Computer Science Option, Florida State University (1982)
BS in Applied Mathematics, Florida Institute of Technology (1980)
Honors and Awards
- Visiting Distinguished Professor - University of Technology, Sydney (2015)
- AAAS Fellow (2013)
- Fellow of AIMBE, IAPR, and AAIA.
- IEEE CI Society Fuzzy Pioneer award (2021).
- IEEE SMC Joseph Wohl award (2017)
- IEEE SMC Society Norbert Wiener Award (2012)
- Honorable Mention Best paper IEEE ICDM Workshop on Data Mining Case Studies (2011)
- International Association of Pattern Recognition Fellow (2010)
- IEEE SMC Society award for Outstanding Contributions (1997, 2000, 2008)
- Research Faculty Mentor of the year USF McNair Program (2006)
- Outstanding Research Contribution USF (2004)
- IEEE Fellow (2003)
- NAFIPS Outstanding Contribution K.S. Fu Award (1998)
- Outstanding Young Researcher in the College of Engineering (1991)
- Past President of the IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society
- Former EIC of what is now the IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics.
- IEEE Vice President Publications, Services and Products, 2021-22.
- Editorial board member the Proceedings of the IEEE and IEEE Spectrum.
- On the IEEE Publications Services and Products Board and chairs its Nominations and Appointments Committee
- Editorial board of International Journal of Approximate Reasoning