1. Research private loans with the lender of your choice.
2. Apply for the loan
- Do not apply earlier than 30-45 days prior to the start of the semester (credit approvals are only good for 120 days)
- Check our loan period dates to ensure you are requesting the loan for dates within USF's loan periods. Meet with a financial aid advisor to discuss how to proceed if you have study abroad or other alternative studies that deviate from these dates.
3. Your lender will send us an electronic certification to complete.
4. USFAS will complete the certification and return it electronically to your lender.
5. Depending on your lender, the process can take 3-6 weeks from the time you apply until receipt of funds. Your lender will send your loan proceeds to us electronically.