Creative Writing: Fiction, Poetry, Nonfiction, and Comics
One session offered:
- July 27 – 31
All noncredit, residential USF Pre-College programs involve Sunday afternoon move-in with dinner provided and Friday afternoon move-out with breakfast and lunch provided.
- Grade Level: Rising 9-12
- Prerequisite: Basic interest in writing
- USF English Department
- USF Creative Writing MFA Program
- USF College of the Arts and Sciences
- Workshop with Guest Speaker, who is a published author - To Be Announced During Spring 2020
In this one-week creative writing program, rising 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders will work with published authors, creative writing faculty members, and MFA graduate students at USF to develop their storytelling skills. Students will have the opportunity to take courses in comics, fiction, poetry, and nonfiction writing where they will read published work and make their own comics, write stories, craft poems, and draft creative nonfiction essays. Students will learn about the different stages of the writing process and experiment with different writing forms and techniques. Practicing the revision techniques, they learn over the course of the program, students will read their work at a final reading open to family and friends.
Learning Outcomes: STUDENTS WILL ENGAGE IN HANDS-ON ACTIVITIES AND INSTRUCTION TO:
- Produce writing in four forms on their own.
- Augment their existing writing practices with advanced skills and techniques.
- Critique creative work and incorporate feedback into their own revisions.
- Read, interpret, and theorize fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and comics.
- Present their creative work in front of an audience.
- $1,250 and it includes:
- Accommodations in Maple/Cypress Suite Residence Hall
- All Meals: Three meals are provided per day at USF Dining Halls with snacks during residential life programming included
- Academic instruction and program oversight by USF faculty
- Workshops with award-winning Published Authors
- All Academic Materials
- Reading Packets
- Sketchbook (unruled)
- Pens and pencils
- Laptop rentals from English department (Students encouraged to bring personal device – laptop or tablet)
- USF Pre-College Gear: Drawstring Bag, Lanyard, Poncho, Journal
- Closing Session: Students Present Work, Includes Light Refreshments, Family & Friends Welcome
- Residential Life Programming: Includes USF Tampa Campus Tour, Affiliates Tours, Student Mentors, Nightly Recreational Activities
Prospective Career Fields
- Medical writer
- Editor and content manager
- Technical writer
- Social media writer
- Grant writer
- Public relations specialist
- Merit and need-based scholarships are available for USF Pre-College Programs.
- 10% scholarships available to dependents of USF Alumni, Faculty, Staff.
- All students must complete USF Pre-College Scholarship Application for Scholarship considerations.
- Fill out the online Creative Writing: Fiction, Poetry, Nonfiction, and Comics program application.
- Once you complete your program application, USF Pre-College staff will send you an email confirmation.
- If you’re interested in USF Pre-College need-based and merit scholarships, you can apply to these using the scholarship application link in your program application confirmation email.
- Students must submit the program application before submitting a scholarship application.
PROGRAM Application Deadlines
- June 1, 2020 Program Application Due - ALL July & August Programs
Scholarship Application Deadlines
- March 23, 2020 Priority Scholarship Review - Program Application Due
- March 30, 2020 Priority Scholarship Review - Scholarship Application Due
- June 8, 2020 Final Scholarship Application Due - ALL July & August Programs
Included with your acceptance will be the information needed to complete your registration. Since there is a possibility for the program to reach capacity prior to the registration deadline, we recommend that students complete their registration at their earliest convenience.
- Students will have supervision during classroom hours, meals, and on evenings or weekends.
- Students will follow the USF Pre-College contract policies and procedures.
- There will be a ratio of at least one staff member per max 20 students.
- The department faculty, graduate assistance, and chaperones are all background checked.
FOR MORE INFORMATION