Enhanced General Education
Anyone wishing to propose a course for the Enhanced General Education should do so via the USF Course Proposal System (you can login with your NetID and password). You are strongly encouraged to visit the Curriculog Tutorial site for information on how to use the system.
The following information may be helpful:
- Course Proposal Rubrics to be used by GEC when reviewing courses
- Proposal Checklists used by each HIP office when reviewing courses
- Global Citizens (Office of High Impact Practices and Undergraduate Research)
- Internships (Office of Internships and Career Readiness)
- Field Study (Office of Internships and Career Readiness)
- Undergraduate Research (Office of High Impact Practices and Undergraduate Research)
- Community Engaged Learning (Office of Community Engagement and Partnerships)
- Education Abroad (Office of Education Abroad)
- Copies of the proposal forms for review prior to submitting a proposal can be found here.
Intellectual & Practical Skills
The General Education Council is no longer accepting proposals for this tier of the pyramid from USF Tampa campus. However, due to consolidation, faculty from USF St. Petersburg and USF Sarasota-Manatee are welcome to submit. Please work with the General Education Council Chair on your campus.
Faculty wishing to propose an Ethical Reasoning & Civic Engagement course may do so at any time. The GEC is no longer placing a limit on the number of courses that can be submitted as ERCE. We are encouraging anyone with a strong proposal to submit.
Faculty wishing to propose a High Impact Practice course may do so at any time. The GEC will review an UNLIMITED number of High Impact Practice courses. Faculty proposers are encouraged to work with the respective offices depending on the type of High Impact Practice course being proposed:
- Internships and Career Readiness: Office of Internships and Career Readiness
- Community Engaged Learning: Office of Community Engagement and Partnerships
- Undergraduate Research: Office of High Impact Practices and Undergraduate Research
- Education Abroad: USF Education Abroad
- Capstone: General Education Council
- Collaborative Learning: General Education Council
- Field Study: Office of Internships and Career Readiness
Modification of General education Course Content
The content of a course approved to satisfy requirements of the Enhanced General Education program can be modified without authorization of the General Education Council (GEC) as long as the modification(s) is/are not substantive and the Gen Ed requirements and previously-approved Gen Ed student learning outcomes (SLOs) remain embedded both in the course content and in the #GEA assignments retaining the same rigor and in proportions similar to those previously accepted by the GEC. It is imperative the Gen Ed SLOs are integrated such that the "spirit" (essence) of the original GEC certification is preserved with any revision of course content or #GEA assignments. As a result, the original SLOs must be stated verbatim and must remain an integral part of the course, and they must be assessed by the #GEAs. If a course revision includes changes of either the Gen Ed SLOs or the essence of the original GEC approval, the proposed modifications must be authorized by the GEC.
Required Syllabus Statement
Every course certified in the Enhanced General Education must include the following syllabus statement:
"This course is part of the University of South Florida's General Education Curriculum. It is certified for [Identify Core Area]. Students enrolled in this course will be asked to participate in the USF General Education assessment effort. This will involve submitting copies of writing assignments for review via Canvas."
Questions? Please contact: GenEdCouncil@usf.edu