Transfer Resources

Transfer Credit Evaluation


Florida Public Institution Credit and the Statewide Course Numbering System

Students transferring from Florida State or Community Colleges as well as Florida public universities will have coursework transferred as part of Florida's Statewide Course Numbering system. This operates with courses equating by having the same 3 letters of the prefix and last 3 numbers of the course number. Find more information here: Statewide Course Numbering System.

Regional Accreditation

Courses from regionally accredited institutions will be accepted by USF. If the institution is accredited by one of the following, then coursework is transferable:

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Middles States Commission on Secondary Schools
New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
New York State Board of Regents, State Education Department, Office of the Professions (Public Post-Secondary Vocational Education, Practical Nursing)
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Oklahoma Board of Career and Technical Education
Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Pennsylvania State Board of Vocational Education, Bureau of Career and Technical Education
Puerto Rico State Agency for the Approval of Public Post-secondary Vocational, Technical Institutions and Programs
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior college and University Commission

*Out of State/Private Institution courses ARE NOT guaranteed to meet program specific requirements and may count differently than at the previous school. These courses will need to be assessed on a course-by-course basis by the academic department to determine how they apply towards both general education and major requirements.

Evaluation of transfer credit is a multi-step process:

  • When a student applies, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will evaluate the coursework to determine whether the courses are accepted as transferable credit. USF recalculates the GPA based on all transcripts submitted. The GPA could change after recalculation. A Transfer Credit Summary will be sent with the acceptance letter. This will detail all the credit the University has ACCEPTED. This does not necessarily confirm how credit is APPLIED towards specific degree requirements. Also not included will be credit that was in-progress at the time the transcript was received by the university.
    • Courses can be brought in as direct equivalency (USF match); prefix and course number; prefix and level; generally accepted (GA) or non-count (NC). Any technical, vocational or remedial credit may be considered non-count. A potential exception is the BSAS major which is a unique articulation between USF and the Florida College System institutions.
  • It is important to contact a USF advisor in the major as early as possible to discuss how credits accepted to USF will apply towards the major the student has selected.
  • After acceptance, students can view how the credit transferred via Degree Works, accessible through the MyUsf portal using the student NetID. It is important to remember that the audit should not be considered 100% reliable until students have met with an advisor or appropriate college personnel to determine how credit is allocated.

Course Substitution Process

Each of USF's colleges determines which transfer credits meet requirements for its degrees. For example, a chemistry course that counts toward the graduation requirement for a chemistry major in the College of Arts and Sciences may not fulfill a graduation requirement for majors in the College of Engineering. It is recommended that students:

  • Keep copies of all previous syllabi from courses taken at other institutions
  • Keep record of all course information/descriptions from the institution's official catalog
  • Make contact with the department which houses the course for which a substitution is requested after admission

Many colleges perform pre-advising appointments for students registered for Orientation. This is a unique opportunity to meet early with an advisor and complete requirements for course substitutions.

Please find the link to the college/department of the course to initiate the course substitution process. If the college/department of the course is not listed below, please contact the advising office in the department to arrange a meeting regarding the substitution process.

Biology, Chemistry, and Physics Course Evaluations

Mathematics & Statistics Course Evaluations

College of Education Course Substitutions