Points of Pride
Compiled annually by the USF Office of Decision Support, Planning and Analysis
Last updated May 27, 2015
In the region, in the state, in the nation and across the globe, the University of South Florida is making an impact. Here are just a few of the distinctive attributes that make our young, vibrant and dynamic university a leading institution of higher education.
- USF is one of 40 public research universities nationwide with very high research activity that is designated as community engaged by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- USF is one of only four Florida public universities classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the top tier of research universities (RU/VH), a distinction attained by only 2.3 percent of all universities.
- USF is ranked 43rd in the nation for research expenditures, among all U.S. universities, public or private, by the National Science Foundation (2013).
- USF is ranked 27th in total research expenditures among public universities by the National Science Foundation (2013).
- USF ranks 15th world-wide for granted U.S. patents among all universities according to the Intellectual Property Owners Association (2013), and has ranked in the Top 15 worldwide among all universities for U.S. patents granted for the past four years (2010-2013).
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked USF as the fifth fastest growing research university in the U.S. from 2000-2010.
- USF was awarded $428.3 million in research contracts and grants in fiscal year 2014.
- USF’s College of Marine Science successfully competed for one of eight research centers worldwide, funded at $11 million by BP.
- USF’s College of Nursing ranks #1 in Florida and 24th among nursing schools nationwide to receive research funding from National Institutes of Health (2012).
- USF ranks in the Top 10 nationally for patents and in the Top 15 for startup companies and number of licenses and options, when compared to other U.S. universities in the most recent survey by the Association of University Technology Managers (2013).
- USF had a record breaking year in Technology Transfer in 2014, with 91 license/options, 11 new startup companies, 190 patent disclosures and 113 new patents.
- USF’s Tampa Bay Technology Incubator is currently home to 62 resident and affiliate companies and growing.
- USF is the founder and home of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI), a non-profit member organization with over 3,000 individual inventor members and Fellows spanning more than 200 U.S. universities, and governmental and non-profit research institutions. The USF Chapter of the NAI has over 300 USF faculty, staff, students and alumni members, who collectively hold more than 1,740 U.S. patents.
- The Florida Inventors Hall of Fame (FloridaInvents.org) was founded at USF in 2013 and is one of only five state inventors’ halls of fame in the nation. Six outstanding Florida inventors were inducted in 2014, including Shyam Mohapatra from USF Health.
- USF ranks 40th on Forbes’ Top 100 Best Buy Colleges (2012).
- USF is recognized by Princeton Review as one of the top 75 Best College Values (2014).
- Many of USF’s Social Science programs rank as top programs in the country: Overall Social Science (#85), Anthropology (#78), Economics (#29), Political Science (#61), Psychology (#88), Sociology (#80) (Center for Public Anthropology, 2013).
- USF’s part-time MBA is the top program among Florida’s 12 state universities, and No. 16 among public schools in the nation (Bloomberg BusinessWeek, 2013).
- USF is named in Princeton Review’s Best 379 Colleges: 2015 Edition.
- USF ranks among the top tier of colleges listed in the USNWR Best Colleges 2015, ranking in the top 100 of best public schools.
- According to the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Ranking (2014), USF ranks among the top 275 of the best colleges and universities in the world.
- According to the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings, USF ranks as one of the top universities in the world (2014).
- Quacquarelli Symonds Stars (QS Stars) rated USF with 4 stars (2013), indicating that USF is “highly international, demonstrating excellence in both research and teaching.”
- In the 2014 edition of the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges, USF is ranked 14th as an ‘up and coming’ university among the country’s national universities.
- The Princeton Review and Entrepreneur Magazine once again rank USF’s interdisciplinary graduate entrepreneurship program among the top 25 programs in the nation (#13), the only Florida program included (2015).
- USF was named one of the Top 100 Best Values in Public Colleges (#52) by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance for 2015.
- Many USF graduate level programs continue to be ranked among the best according to
the 2016 USNWR Graduate School Rankings. USF graduate programs ranked in the top 50 include:
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology (#4)
- Audiology (#12)
- Public Health (#16)
- Criminology (#22)
- Library and Information Studies (#24)
- Rehabilitation Counseling (#24)
- Nursing (#38)
- Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering (#45)
- Speech-Language Pathology (#45)
- USF is ranked among the best in 2015 USNWR’s Online Education Program rankings. USF graduate programs ranked in the top 50 include:
- Engineering (#17)
- Education (#20)
- Business (non-MBA) (#27)
- USF ranks as a national leader in online education, according to the Guide to Online Schools, ranking 25th on its ‘best overall’ list of top nonprofit and for-profit schools (2013).
- USF School of Accountancy is ranked 1st in the nation in accounting information systems research, as well as top 30 in other areas of research (audit #21 and tax #29), according to the 2012 rankings released by Brigham Young University (BYU).
- USF ranks among the top 275 world-class colleges and universities according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2014) which measures universities across their core missions of teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
- According to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) (2014), USF ranks among the top 300 of the best colleges and universities in the world.
- BusinessWeek ranks many of USF’s undergraduate business programs in their Best Undergraduate Business School rankings, including 25th for Information Systems (2013).
Awards and Recognition
- Popular Science magazine has named Mya Breitbart, USF Associate Professor of biological oceanography, as one of its "Brilliant Ten," on its annual list of some of the country's brightest young scientific minds (2013).
- USF is ranked 110th among all of the world’s universities in a ranking of faculty publications, according to High Impact Universities (2010).
- USF was recognized as one of the nation’s top producers of Fulbright Scholars in 2012 by the Institute of International Education and by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
- In November 2011, the first USF student in the institutions’ history was awarded the prestigious postgraduate Marshall Scholarship.
- USF is home to 46 national scholarship and fellowship student awardees for 2012-13 academic year.
- In the 2012-13 academic year, USF faculty were awarded several prestigious awards, to include Carnegie Foundation/CASE U.S. Professor of the Year, a record 15 AAAS fellowships, the only 2 Sloan research fellowships awarded in Florida, 3 NSF CAREER awards, 5 NAI fellowships, and 4 Core Fulbright’s.
- USF was acknowledged as an honor roll recipient of the 2013 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service. The Honor Roll recognizes higher education institutions that reflect the values of community service and achieve meaningful outcomes in their communities.
- USF was one of only five institutions to receive NAFSA’s 2013 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization.
- USF’s Ghana Scholars Program selected by the Institute of International Education (IIE) as the Honorable Mention for the 2013 Andrew Heiskell Award for International Partnerships, which recognizes strategic, comprehensive, and innovative international partnership efforts.
- For 2014, USF faculty were awarded 81 highly prestigious awards, including Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), an AAU-recognized honor. USF ranked 4th worldwide for organizations with the most AAAS Fellows named in 2014.
- According to College Degree Search, USF ranks 30th for the most beautiful conservatories and schools of music (2015).
- USF has been named one of the top 50 Colleges Advancing Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) (The College Database, 2013).
- The USF College of Engineering ranked in the top five nationally in conferring engineering doctorates to both African American and Hispanic/Latino students (Diverse Issues in Higher Education, 2013).
- With a student body representing over 130 different countries, USF is one of the 40 most diverse public universities in the country and the second most diverse public university in the state of Florida, according to U.S. News & World Report’s recent Diversity Index ratings.
- USF ranks among the Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education Top 25 Graduate Schools enrolling Hispanics (2011).
- USF consistently ranks in the top 25 or 50 in Top 100 Colleges Awarding Degrees to Hispanic according to Diverse Issues in Higher Education Top Degree Producers.
- USF was ranked 5th among the country’s most veteran-friendly schools by Military Times’ Best for Vets: Colleges 2015 rankings (November 2013).
- USF was ranked 1st among the country’s most veteran-friendly schools by Military Times’ Best for Vets: Nursing 2015 rankings.
- USF’s College of Business was ranked 26th by Military Times’ Best for Vets: Business Schools 2015 rankings.
- USF is one of only 16 universities in the nation selected as a Tillman Partnership University of the Pat Tillman Foundation, a selection based on innovative veteran-specific support services and proven culture of community for military families.
- U.S. News and World Report ranked USF as a Best College for Veterans (2013).
- USF is ranked 99th nationally for social mobility, research and civic engagement, according to Washington Monthly (2014).
- USF is one of only 22 institutions on the 2014 Green Rating Honor Roll list by Princeton Review.
- USF is featured in Princeton Review’s Guide to 353 Green Colleges: 2015 Edition as one of 353 institutions of higher education that demonstrate a strong commitment to sustainability in their academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities and career preparation.
- According to Sierra magazine’s "America’s Coolest Schools" rankings, USF ranks 7th among American universities and colleges for advances in sustainability in research and education (2014).
- USF is one of a small number of universities nationwide to receive a GOLD RATING for building an environmentally-conscious campus. (Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, 2014).
- According to Best Colleges, USF ranks 36th on the Greenest Universities in America rankings (2015).