Professor and Associate Chair
Office: SOC 123
Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Arizona
MPH, Public Health, University of Texas
MA, Anthropology, University of Texas at San Antonio
Borders and Migration, Issues in Migrant Health, Anthropology of Health Policy, Anthropological Theory Today, Applied Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology, Human Rights and Transitional Justice, Health & Medical Systems, Theory in Medical Anthropology, Global Health from an Anthropological Perspective
Political and legal anthropology, medical anthropology, migration, migrant health, health policy, unauthorized/undocumented migration, mixed-status families, citizenship, US/Mexico borderlands, Mexico, Germany, Morocco
Current projects focus on:
- Mixed-status families along the US/Mexico border (funded by the National Science Foundation and the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research)
- Immigrant Youth Project, which examines how legal status impacts the social and emotional well-being of young adult immigrants (funded by the National Science Foundation)
- Shifts in spaces of “transit” to settlement for sub-Saharan Africans in Morocco, focused on forced immobility, legal status precarity, gendered geographies of power, and local processes of racialization (with Dr. Tara Deubel)
- AmeRicans' Conceptions of Health Equity Study (ARCHES): Whose health deserves society's attention, investment, or care? (funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
- Transit migration in Sinaloa along Mexico's Ruta Pacifica (in collaboration with the Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa; funded by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research and PROFAPI)
- Castañeda, Heide. 2019. Borders of Belonging: Struggle and Solidarity in Mixed-Status Immigrant Families. Stanford University Press.
Castañeda, Heide and Melo, Milena A. 2019. Geographies of Confinement for Immigrant Youth: Checkpoints and Immobilities along the US/Mexico Border. Law & Policy.
Campbell, Rebecca and Heide Castañeda. 2019. School Employees as Health Care Brokers for Multiply-Marginalized Migrant Families. Medical Anthropology.
- Gómez, Sofia and Castañeda, Heide. 2018. "Recognize Our Humanity": Immigrant Youth Voices on Health Care in Arizona's Restrictive Political Environment. Qualitative Health Research.
- Castañeda, Heide. 2017. Is Coverage Enough? Persistent Health Disparities in Marginalized Latino Border Communities. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 43(12): 2003-2019
- Fleuriet, K. Jill and Castañeda, Heide. 2017. A Risky Place? Media and the Health Landscape in the (In)secure U.S.-Mexico Borderlands. North American Dialogue 20(2): 32-46.
- Mulligan, Jessica, and Castañeda, Heide, editors (2018) Unequal Coverage: The Experience of Health Care Reform in the United States. New York: NYU Press.
- Castañeda, Heide, Seth M. Holmes, Annastiina Kallius, and Daniel Monterescu (2016) Anthropology and Human Displacement: Mobilities, Ex/inclusions, and Activism. American Ethnologist.
- Holmes, Seth and Castañeda, Heide (2016) Representing the European Refugee Crisis in Germany and Beyond: Deservingness and Difference, Life and Death. American Ethnologist 43(1): 12-24.
- Castañeda, Heide (2016) Health Care along the US/Mexico Border. The Routledge Handbook of Medical Anthropology.
- Castañeda, Heide (2016) Shifting Discourses and Social Relations: The Production of Knowledge on Migration. Practicing Anthropology 38(1): 38-40.
- Castañeda, Heide (2016) Review of The Colonias Reader: Economy, Housing, and Public Heath in US-Mexico Border Colonias. In Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology.
- Castañeda, Heide, Holmes, Seth M., Madrigal, Daniel S., Young, Maria-Elena DeTrinidad, Beyerle, Naomi, and Quesada, James (2015) Immigration as a Social Determinant of Health. Annual Review of Public Health 36:375-392.
- Castañeda, Heide (2015) Mixed-Status Families in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas: Health Disparities and Life along the US/Mexico Border. Living Together, Living Apart: Mixed Status Families and US Immigration Policy. University of Washington Press.
- Holmes, Seth, and Castañeda, Heide (2014) Ethnographic Studies. Migration and Health Research Methodologies: A Handbook for the Study of Migrant Populations. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Castañeda, Heide (2014) Migrant Male Sex Workers in Germany. Male Sex Work and Society. New York: Harrington Park Press.
- Castañeda, Heide and Melo, Milena A. (2014) Health Care Access for Latino Mixed-Status Families: Barriers, Strategies, and Implications for Reform. American Behavioral Scientist.
- Castañeda, Heide (2014) European Mobilities or "Poverty Migration"? Discourses on Roma in Germany. International Migration.
- Yarris, Kristin and Castañeda, Heide (2014) Ethnographic Insights on Displacement, Migration, and Deservingness in Contemporary Global Contexts. International Migration.
- Castañeda, Heide and Arango, James (2014) Health Concerns for Mexican Migrants in Central Florida: Collaborations with the Sending State via Mobile Consulates and Hometown Associations. Practicing Anthropology 36(3):43-47.
- Christensen, Janelle J. and Castañeda, Heide (2014) Danger and Dementia: Caregiver Experiences and Shifting Social Roles during a Highly Active Hurricane Season. Journal of Gerontological Social Work.
- Castañeda, Heide (2013) Structural Vulnerability and Access to Medical Care among Migrant Street-Based Male Sex Workers in Germany. Social Science & Medicine 84:94-101.
- Castañeda, Heide (2013) Medical Aid as Protest: Acts of Citizenship for Unauthorized Im/migrants and Refugees. Citizenship Studies 17(2):227-240.
- Luque, John S., and Castañeda, Heide (2012) Delivery of Mobile Clinic Services to Migrant and Seasonal Farmworkers: A Review of Practice Models for Community-Academic Partnerships. Journal of Community Health.
- Castañeda, Heide (2012) "Over-Foreignization" Or "Unused Potential"? A Critical Review Of Migrant Health In Germany And Responses Toward Unauthorized Migration. Social Science & Medicine 74(6): 830-838.
- Carrion, Iraida V., Nedjat-Haiem, Frances R., Martinez-Tyson, Dinorah and Castañeda, Heide (2012) Advance Care Planning among Colombian, Mexican, and Puerto Rican Women with a Cancer Diagnosis. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- Castañeda, Heide (2011) Effects of Transitional Measures Associated with EU Integration on Medical Care Access for Central and Eastern European Migrants in Germany. Anthropological Journal of European Cultures 20(2): 68-86
- Willen, Sarah S., Mulligan, Jessica, and Castañeda, Heide (2011) Take A Stand Commentary: How Can Medical Anthropologists Contribute to Contemporary Conversations on "Illegal" Im/migration and Health? Medical Anthropology Quarterly 25(3) 331–356.
- Castañeda, Heide, Kline, Nolan, Rapp, Mackenzie, Demetriou, Nicole, Ahmed, Naheed, Chan, Isabella, Crocker, Theresa, Dickey, Nathaniel, Dillon, Patrick, Dotson, Hilary, Frost, Jordana, Hobbs, Natalie, Koby Novicki, Emily, McNab, Philip, Montiel-Ishino, Francisco, and Timmons, Colleen (2011) Assessing the 2010 Affordable Care Act: Perspectives of Future Health Care Professionals. Practicing Anthropology 33(4): 44 – 48.
- Martinez Tyson, Dinorah, Castañeda, Heide, Porter, Milagro, Quiroz, Marisel and Carrion, Iraida. More Similar than Different? Exploring Cultural Models of Depression among Latino Immigrants in Florida. Depression Research and Treatment.
- Carrion, Iraida, Castañeda, Heide, Martinez Tyson, Dinorah, and Kline, Nolan. Barriers Impeding Access to Primary Oral Health Care Among Farmworker Families in Central Florida. Social Work in Health Care.
- Castañeda, Heide 2011 Medical Humanitarianism and Physicians' Organized Efforts to Provide Aid to Unauthorized Migrants in Germany. Human Organization 70(1)1–10.
- Castañeda, Heide 2011 Review: Cosmopolitan Anxieties: Turkish Challenges to Citizenship and Belonging in Germany. PoLAR: The Political and Legal Anthropology Review.
- Luque, John S., Castañeda, Heide, Martinez-Tyson, Dinorah, Vargas, Natalie and Meade, Cathy D. 2011 Formative Research on HPV Vaccine Acceptability among Latina Farmworkers. Health Promotion Practice.
- Castañeda, Heide 2010 Deportation Deferred: 'Illegality,' Visibility, and Recognition in Contemporary Germany. The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement. Nicholas De Genova and Nathalie Peutz , eds. Pp. 245–261. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Castañeda, Heide, Carrion, Iraida, Kline, Nolan*, Martinez Tyson, Dinorah 2010 False Hope: Effects of Social Class and Health Policy on Oral Health Inequalities for Migrant Farmworker Families. Social Science & Medicine 71(11):2028–2037.
- Castañeda, Heide 2010 Im/migration and Health: Conceptual, Methodological, and Theoretical Propositions for Applied Anthropology. Annals of Applied Anthropology (Formerly NAPA Bulletin) 34(1):6–27.
- Luque, John S., Castañeda, Heide, Martinez-Tyson, Dinorah, Vargas, Natalie, Proctor, Sara, and Meade, Cathy D. 2010 HPV Awareness among Latina Immigrants and Anglo American Women in the Southern U.S.: Cultural Models of Cervical Cancer Risk Factors and Beliefs. Annals of Applied Anthropology (Formerly NAPA Bulletin)
- Castañeda, Heide, Kline, Nolan*, and Dickey, Nathaniel* 2010 Health Concerns of Migrant Backstretch Workers at Horse Racetracks. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 21(2):489–503.
- Castañeda, Heide, Nichter, Mark, Nichter, Mimi, and Muramoto, Myra 2010 Enabling and Sustaining the Activities of Lay Health Influencers: Lessons from a Community-Based Tobacco Cessation Intervention Study. Health Promotion Practice, Volume 11(4):483–492.
- Yuan, Nicole P., Wind, Steven, Nichter, Mark, Nichter, Mimi, Castañeda, Heide, Carruth, Lauren, and Muramoto, Myra L. 2010 Types of Lay Health Influencers in Tobacco Cessation: A Qualitative Study. American Journal of Health Behavior 34(5):607–617.
- Castañeda, Heide 2009 Illegality as Risk Factor: A Survey of Unauthorized Migrant Patients in a Berlin Clinic. Social Science & Medicine 68(8):1552–1560.
- Castañeda, Heide 2008 Paternity for Sale: Anxieties over "Demographic Theft" and Undocumented Migrant Reproduction in Germany. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 22(4):340–359.
- Castañeda, Heide 2008 "Illegal Migration, Gender and Health Care: Perspectives from Germany and the United States." Gender and Illegal Migration in Global and Historical Perspective. Marlou J. Schrover, Joanne van der Leun, Leo Lucassen, and Chris Quispel, eds. Pp. 171–188. Amsterdam: IMISCOE/Amsterdam University Press.
- Castañeda, Heide 2007 Undocumented Migrant Workers and Access to Health Services in Germany: Points of Comparison to Israel. Transnational Migration to Israel in Global Comparative Context. Sarah S. Willen, ed. Pp. 123–138. Lanham: Lexington Books.
Kayla Jones, Rachel Kingsley, Melissa Johnson, Amanda Leppert Gomes, William Lucas, Russell Manzano, Isabela Solis