Professor and Associate Chair
Office: SOC 123
- Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Arizona
- MPH, Public Health, University of Texas
- MA, Anthropology, University of Texas at San Antonio
Borders and Migration, Issues in Migrant Health, Anthropological Theory Today, Anthropology of Health Policy, Theory in Medical Anthropology, Foundations of Applied Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology, Human Rights and Transitional Justice, Health & Medical Systems, Global Health from an Anthropological Perspective.
Critical border studies, political and legal anthropology, medical anthropology, migration, migrant health, citizenship, US/Mexico border, Mexico, Germany, Morocco.
- "Migrant Communities: Effects of Demographic Characteristics on Placemaking under Uncertain Timelines" (funded by the National Science Foundation Award # 2149059): Examines shifts in spaces of “transit” to settlement for sub-Saharan Africans in Morocco, focused on forced immobility, legal status precarity, gendered geographies of power, and local processes of racialization (with Dr. Tara Deubel)
- "Mixed-Status Families and Citizenship in the Contemporary Migration Experience" (funded by the National Science Foundation Award # 1535664 and the Wenner-Gren Foundation): Focuses on mixed-status families living along the US/Mexico border
- "Legal Status and the Social and Emotional Well-Being of Young Adult Immigrants" (funded by the National Science Foundation Award # 1729396): examines social and emotional well-being of undocumented youth and DACA recipients in Florida
- "Indigenous Mobilities: Amazigh Im/migrants in the United States"
- Migration and Health: Critical Perspectives. Routledge, 2023.
- Borders of Belonging: Struggle and Solidarity in Mixed-Status Immigrant Families. Stanford University Press, 2019.
- Unequal Coverage: The Experience of Health Care Reform in the United States. Mulligan, Jessica & Castañeda, Heide, editors. NYU Press, 2018.
Select Articles & Chapters
- Castañeda, Heide, Melanie Escue, and Elizabeth Aranda (2023) A Lot of People There were Undocumented, or at Least Looked Like Me”: Illegality, Visibility, and Vulnerability among Immigrant Young Adults in Florida. Journal of Cultural Geography.
- Lucas, William, Castañeda, Heide and Melo, Milena A. 2023. The Lingering Ache: Temporalities of Oral Health Suffering in US-Mexico Border Communities. Human Organization 82(2): 131-141.
- Lopez, William D, and Heide Castañeda. 2022. The Mixed-Status Community as an Analytic Framework to Understand the Impacts of Immigration Enforcement on Health. Social Science & Medicine 307: 115180.
Castañeda, Heide (2022) Anthropological Approaches to Migration and Health. In A Companion to Medical Anthropology, Second Edition, Wiley.
- Vaquera, Elizabeth, Castañeda, Heide, and Aranda, Elizabeth (2022) Legal and Ethnoracial Consciousness: Perceptions of Immigrant Media Narratives among the Latino Undocumented 1.5 Generation. American Behavioral Scientist.
- Smith, Sarah A. and Castañeda, Heide (2021) Nonimmigrant Others: Belonging and Precarity of Imperial Citizenship for Chuukese Migrants in Guam. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review.
- Logan, Ryan, Melo, Milena A, and Castañeda, Heide (2021) Familial Vulnerability: Legal Status and Mental Health Within Mixed-Status Families. Medical Anthropology 40(7): 639-652.
- Castañeda, Heide and Melo, Milena A. (2019) Geographies of Confinement for Immigrant Youth: Checkpoints and Immobilities along the US/Mexico Border. Law & Policy 41(1): 80-102.
- Holmes, Seth and Castañeda, Heide (2016) Representing the European Refugee Crisis in Germany and Beyond: Deservingness and Difference, Life and Death. American Ethnologist 43(1): 12-24.
- Castañeda, Heide, Holmes, Seth M., Madrigal, Daniel S., Young, Maria-Elena DeTrinidad, Beyerle, Naomi, and Quesada, James (2015) Immigration as a Social Determinant of Health. Annual Review of Public Health 36:375-392.
Rachel Kingsley, and Laura Parada Perla.