Associate Professor and Graduate Director
Office: SOC 124
- Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Arizona
- Certificate in Forced Migration, University of Oxford Refugee Studies Centre
- M.A., Anthropology, University of Arizona
- B.A., American Studies, Georgetown University
Cultural Anthropology, Language and Culture, Anthropology of Human Rights, Anthropology of Development, Ethnographic Film, and Anthropology of Food.
Sociocultural and Linguistic Anthropology, Politics of International Aid, Gender and Development, Food Security, Forced Migration and Refugee Resettlement, Ethnic Minorities and Nationalism, Language and Performance, Social Memory, Visual Anthropology, West and North Africa, and the Middle East.
- Deubel, T.F., S. Youngstedt, and H. Tissières, eds. 2014. Saharan Crossroads: Exploring Historical, Cultural and Artistic Linkages between North
and West Africa. Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Deubel, Tara F. 2020. Gift-Giving as Social Capital: Changing Customs of Sahrawi Women's Gift Exchange in Laayoune. Hespéris-Tamuda LV(3):305-321. Special issue on Anthropology of the Maghreb, edited by Aomar Boum and Rahma Bourquia.
- Deubel, Tara F. and Micah Boyer. 2020. Women's Economic Empowerment and Political Accountability in Mali. IDS Working Paper 537, Brighton: Institute for Development Studies.
- Deubel, Tara F., Adetola Louis-Jacques, Elizabeth M. Miller, Ivonne Hernandez and Micah Boyer. 2019. Perceptions and practices of infant feeding among African American women. Ecology of Food and Nutrition 58(4):301-316.
- Miller, Elizabeth M., Ivonne Hernandez, Tara F. Deubel, Adetola Louis-Jacques. 2018. One step for a hospital, ten steps for women: African American women's experiences in a newly accredited Baby-Friendly Hospital. Journal of Human Lactation 34(1):184-191.
- Naughton, Colleen, Tara F. Deubel, and James Mihelcic. 2017. Household food security, economics and the social capital of women's shea butter production in rural Mali. Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food 9:773-784.
- Louis-Jacques, Adetola, Tara F. Deubel, Melina Taylor and Alison Stuebe. 2017. Racial and ethnic disparities in U.S. breastfeeding and implications for maternal and child health outcomes. Seminars in Perinatology 41(5):299-307.
- Deubel, Tara F. and Micah Boyer. 2016. Gender, Markets, and Women's Empowerment in the Sahel Region: Comparative Case Studies from Niger, Mali, and Chad. Pp. 1-93. Rome: World Food Programme Gender and Markets Initiative for West and Central Africa.
- Deubel, Tara Flynn 2011. Poetics of Diaspora: Sahrawi Poets and Postcolonial Transformations of a Trans-Saharan Genre in Northwest Africa. Journal of North African Studies. 17(2):295-314.
- Baro, Mamadou and Tara F. Deubel. 2006. Persistent Hunger: Perspectives on Vulnerability, Famine, and Livelihood Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Annual Review of Anthropology 35:521-38.
- Deubel, Tara F. and Aomar Boum. 2019. The Rise of a Saharan City: Urban Development, Tribal Settlement and Political Unrest in Laayoune. In H. Yacobi and M. Nsasra, eds. Routledge Handbook of Middle Eastern Cities. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Deubel, Tara F. 2018. La poésie contemporaine en hassaniyya, Pp. 265-280. In Sébastien Boulay and Francesco Correale, eds. Sahara Occidental: population en mouvement, conflit oublié. Tours, France: Presses Universitaires François-Rabelais.
- Deubel, Tara F. 2017. Nostalgia, Memory, and Nationalism: Homeland Poetry and Identity in Sahrawi Communities. In Sébastien Boulay et Francisco Freire, eds. Culture et politique dans l'Ouest saharien: Arts, activisme et état dans une espace de conflit. Igé, France: Editions de L’étrave.
- Deubel, Tara F. 2006. ‘Banking on Culture’: Microcredit as Incentive for Cultural Conservation in Mali. In Microfinance: Perils and Prospects.Pp. 133-153. Jude Fernando, ed. New York: Routledge.
- Deubel, Tara F., Micah Boyer, and Dana Goodlett. 2016. Women, Gender, and Refugee Camps in Sub-Saharan Africa. Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures. Supplement 12. Rosa DeJorio, supplement editor and Suad Joseph, general editor. New York: Routledge.
- Deubel, Tara F. 2016. Hunger and Famine. The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies. Nancy Naples, ed. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Caitlynn Carr, Neudy Carolina Nuñez, and Catherine Vazquez.