- Personal Site
- USF Medicine Personal Profile Page
- Research Gate
- Orcid ID: 0000-0002-4291-5802
- Bibliography in PubMed
University of South Florida
ANT4495 Research in Patient-Physician Interactions, IDH4490 Research Methods in Medical Anthropology and Clinical Research, Summer Research Symposium in Emergency Medicine, and MDR8000 Research in Emergency Medicine.
University of Michigan
Head Graduate Student Instructor (GSI), ANTHROBIO 161 Biological Anthropology; GSI: ANTHRBIO 365 Human Evolution, ANTHRBIO 479 Human Evolution, ANTHRBIO 473 Human Adaptation, and ANTHRBIO 364 Evolution of Nutrition.
Implementation of anthropology directly into clinical spaces to create new assemblages and patient care pathways, Intersection between critical medical anthropology and clinical emergency medicine, structural determinants of health, health equity
Anthropology Related Publications
- Wilson, JW and Baer, R. Clinical Anthropology 2.0. The Patient Experience: Medical Anthropology and Education in the 21st Century. Completed. Release date January 2022. Lexington books, Lexington Books, Rowman-Littlefield Publishers.
- Villalona, S, Castañeda, H, Wilson, JW, Romero-Daza, N; Yanez Yuncosa, M, Jeannot, C. Discordance Between Satisfaction and Health Literacy Among Spanish-Speaking Patients with Limited English-Proficiency Seeking Emergency Department Care. Hispanic Health Care International. Online Ahead of Print. December 21, 2021. PMID: 34931564
- Henderson, H, Wilson, JW, McCoy, B. Applied Medical Anthropology and Structurally Informed Emergency Care in the Evolving Context of COVID-19. Human Organization. November 29, 2021. 80(4): 263-271.
- Villalona, S, Boxtha, C, Cervantes, C, Webb, W, Casteneda, H, and Wilson, JW. “If at Least the Patient Could Not Be Forgotten About. Journal of Patient Experience. December 7, 2020 (6): 1015-1021. PMID 33457540.
- Villalona, S, Wilson, JW, Boxtha, C, Cervantes, C, & Webb, W. “I Felt Invisible Most of the Time”. Communication and Satisfaction Among Patients Treated in ED Hallway Beds. Published Online American Journal of Emergency Medicine on May 4, 2020. PMID 3247563
- Villalona, S, Jeannot, C, Yanez, M, Webb, W, Boxtha, C, and Wilson, JW. Minimizing Variability in Interpretation Modality Among Spanish Speaking Patients with Limited English Proficiency. Hispanic Health Care International. 2019 July 20. PMID: 31220928
- Wilson, JW, Baer, RD, and Villalona SK. Patient Shadowing: An Integral Research Method, Teaching Tool for Premedical Undergraduates and Approach to Student Professional Development. Academic Medicine. ePublished Ahead of Print July 16, 2019. November 2019 94(11):1722-1727. PMID 31335819
- Magrath, P, Guerra Reyes, L, Wilson, JW, Edberg, M. Reimagining Anthropological Engagements with the Health Sciences in the Covid 19 Era: What Can We Offer? Round Table 3-2011. Presented at the American Anthropological Association, Baltimore, Maryland. November 19, 2021.
- Wilson, JW, Baer, R. Fostering “good” medicine by shifting the clinical gaze: Improving patient centered care by integrating medical anthropology into physician training and clinical spaces. Panel 7. Enhancing ways of knowing. Radical Health. Doing Medicine, Health Care, and Anthropology of the Good. Berlin, Germany (Virtual). June 27, 2021.
- Gopal, J, Wallach, W, Wilson, JW. Surveying resiliency and burnout among emergency medicine resident physicians. Selected as an Oral Lightning Abstract. Presented by Jay Gopal and William Wallach. YouTube upload August 1, 2020.
- Henderson, H, McGeachy, J, and Wilson, JW. An ED Based Medication Assisted Therapy Pathway for Opioid Use Disorder that Does Not Require Data 2000 Waiver. Abstract 54. Accepted for Presentation at the American College of Emergency Physicians, Scientific Assembly, Research Forum. October 27, 2019. Poster Presentation. Presented by Heather Henderson.
- Wilson, JW. Co-locating Epidemics: HCV and IV Drug Use. Accepted for Oral Presentation at the American Academy of Emergency Medicine Mediterranean Emergency Medicine Conference. Dubrovnik, Croatia. September 2019. Oral Presentation.
- Henderson, H, Terwilliger, Z, Ozoya, O, Travis, B, and Wilson, JW. Hepatitis C Linkage to Care Outcomes in an Urban, Academic Emergency Department. Poster Presentation (Heather Henderson). Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, Nevada. May 16, 2019. Poster Presentation. Presented by Heather Henderson.
- Wilson, JW. Mixed Methodologies, Medical Anthropology and Clinical Applicability. Panel Chair and Discussant, Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA), Portland, Oregon, March 23, 2019. Oral Presentation.
- Wilson, JW. Presenter. Anthropology, Gun Violence, Gun Control. Round Table Discussion. American Anthropological Association. Annual Meeting. November 17, 2018. San Jose, California. Oral Presentation
- Wilson, JW. Anthropology and Special Patient Populations in the Emergency Department (TH-160). Panel Chair and Discussant, Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA), Philadelphia Pennsylvania. April 5, 2018, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Oral Presentation.
- Villalona, S, Baer, R. and Wilson, JW. Reimagining the Shadowing and Research Experiences of Undergraduate Pre-Medical Students. Presented by Seiichi Villalona at the American Association of Medical Colleges, Western Group on Educational Affairs Regional Conference, March 25, 2018.
- Villalona, S. SaintHillaire, R. and Wilson, JW. Assessments of ED Hallway Placement and Perceived Deficiencies in Pain Management on Press Ganey Scores. Poster Presentation, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, Orlando Florida. May 16-19, 2017.
- Baer, R. Wilson, JW, and Villalona, S. The ER: Patient and Physician Perspectives. Presented at the American Anthropological Association, November 2016. Presented by Roberta Baer.
- Wilson, J.W., and M.H. Wolpoff. Are the Neandertal males really male? 73rd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. April 14-17, 2004. Tampa, Florida. Oral presentation. Presenter
- Wilson, J.W., and Van Arsdale, Adam. Sex determination in African Early Pleistocene Hominid Fossils. 71st Annual Meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. April 12-15, 2002. Buffalo, New York. Oral presentation. Presenter.
- Wilson, J.W., R.H. Tykot, and D.H. Ubelaker. Intradental Variation in Stable Carbon Isotope Ratios in Human Tooth Enamel. 70th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. March 28-31, 2001. Kansas City, Missouri. Oral Presentation, Presenter.
- Wilson, J.W., R.H. Tykot, and J.F. Thackeray. Problems and Prospects in strontium-calcium ratio analysis: implications of 15 South African hominid fossils. 32nd International Archaeometry Symposium. May 15-19, 2000.Mexico City, Mexico. Poster Presentation. Presenter.
- Wilson, J.W., R.H. Tykot, and J.F. Thackeray. Strontium-calcium ratio analysis and dietary adaptations of early hominids from South Africa: A reevaluation of interpretive problems in light of new analyses. 69th annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. April 12-15, 2000. San Antonio, Texas. Oral Presentation. Presenter.