Fire and Emergency Evacuation Procedures
Emergency drill for chemistry labs
Contact the USF Division of Environmental Health and Safety at (813) 974-4036 with any questions regarding fire and emergency evacuation drill procedures.
- Call attendance using the roster provided in canvas before you start the drill.
- Explain to your students what to do in case of an emergency evacuation:
- Terminate all hazardous operations and power off equipment.
- Close all hazardous materials containers.
- If student unable to evacuate due to a disability, shelter in the area of rescue / refuge, typically a stairwell landing, and wait for assistance from drill volunteers or emergency responders.
- Instruct visitors and students to evacuate and assist them in locating the nearest exit.
- Students should carry only those personal belongings that are within the immediate vicinity.
- Close doors to limit the potential spread of smoke and fire.
- Remain outside of the building until the building is released for reentry. (Emergency drill: in our case after calling attendance in the gathering area)
- Convene in the designated grassy gathering area and await instruction from emergency responders or drill volunteers. Avoid parking lots.
- Notify evacuation drill volunteers or emergency responders of persons sheltering in the areas of rescue/ refuge.
- Call attendance using the roster and make sure that all your students are present in the gathering area. Go back to your lab room.
Never assume that an alarm is a "false alarm".
Treat all fire alarm activations as emergencies. Get out of the building!
Gathering area ISA, CHE, NES: Assemble in grassy area around gazebos west of MLK plaza.
Fire and Emergency Evacuation Procedures Document