Historic Black Neighborhoods of Tampa
Central Avenue District
The Central Avenue business District sat at the western edge of the scrub, which was Tampa’s first African-American neighborhood.
By 1900, black residents comprised almost 28% of the city of Tampa’s total population. The black community located nearest to downtown Tampa at the beginning of the 20th century was known as the scrub, named for the scrub palmettos that characterize the area. The ethically distinct African-American community had its foundations in the 1860s. The southeastern section of the neighborhood became the African-American business District, concentrated along what is now referred to as the Historic Central Avenue District in the vicinity of the intersection of Nebraska Avenue and interstate 275.
Learn more about the preservation and history of Dobyville a historic Black neighborhood in Tampa.
Progress Village is not only a Hillsborough County landmark, but it is an example of a valuable cultural and historical resource. Progress Village was first platted in 1958. In addition to being a historically African-American neighborhood, Progress Village is one of the oldest planned communities in the unincorporated Hillsborough County area. Progress Village was constructed to provide homes for families dislocated from the Scrub neighborhood in Tampa during urban renewal and intrastate construction.
In 1960, the nonprofit progress village, Inc., its interracial board of trustees, was awarded the national Lane Bryant Service Award for outstanding contribution to community life. In the 2010 census, 2,699 residents were African-American in Progress Village's, making up 50.06% of its total population.
Learn more about the preservation and history of Sulphur Springs a historic Black neighborhood in Tampa.