USF Community Music Project
The USF Community Music Project supports our community’s children and adults of all ages and levels to experience and grow through music. We believe music is essential and transforms lives.
- We foster engagement with music and the arts through cultivating skills, understanding, and artistry
- We offer equitable and inclusive music making and learner-centered arts experiences
- We promote social and emotional connections between music creation, consumption, and the human condition
Through this program, USF Artist-Faculty and USF music majors offer private lessons, classes, workshops, and events for everyone interested in enjoying and creating music. These opportunities are available for students of nearly all ages (6 and higher) and all levels, ranging from complete beginners through very advanced.
*To join Our Community, please complete our Interest Form (one per student) for more information, or contact us if you have questions.
Sign up for our newsletter for advanced notices and updates
SUMMER CLASSES 2023: Tampa Campus
Intermediate Jazz Improvisation, with Mr. Ross Strauser. June 5-7 (Monday through Wednesday),1:15-4:30PM. Players in 9th grade and higher, through adults. This course develops jazz improvisation skills through exploring music theory, transcribing, and learning standard jazz repertoire. Open to any instruments and to students with some experience playing in a jazz band. (Tuition: $180)
Beginning Ukulele Getaway Sessions, with Ms. Ariana Ruisi. June 26-30, 9:30 AM-12 PM. ages 7 and higher (Tuition: $180). Join our summer uke getaway, no experience necessary! In these weeklong sessions we’ll discover basic techniques to learn their favorite songs and even create our own! (Tuition: $180)
Summer Group Piano Classes with Mr. Matthew Roxas: Beginning Group Piano: June 5-28, 3:00-4:15 PM, Mondays and Wednesdays. Ages 7 and higher. No experience necessary! Feel a pull to the keyboard? Now is your chance to dive or gently wade in. (Tuition: $180).
*If you are interested in taking a group piano class but have different day/time availability, please let us know
Summer Oboe Reed Session, with Prof. Amy Collins. July 10-12, 9AM - 12 PM (Tuition: $100). Learn to craft your own reeds with proven guidance. Supplied by this course: cane, reed thread, clamps, and expertise! Bring your own tools and staples.
SPECIAL OFFER! OUR GIFT TO THE COMMUNITY CLASSES - FREE!
- Anime Piano Arranging Class: June 6-29 with Mr. Matthew Roxas, 5:00-6:00 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays (Tuition: FREE). This class is for any pianist able to play pieces with fluent hand independence, good aural / listening skills, and a basic understanding of simple harmonies. As the course focuses solely on Japanese Anime soundtracks and songs, students may bring a piece they wish to transcribe and play, along with other class arranging and transcribing projects!
Flute Events: please use this form for registration
- USF Flute Summer Fast-Track with Dr. Francesca Arnone: level-up your summer flute practicing, June 10, 9 AM - 4:30 PM (Tuition: FREE). Join us one-day intensive to carry you through your summer studies! Including breathing and centering, the summer warm-up, scale slam, hitting those money notes, FBA etude overview, understanding rhythms, and sight-reading. For high school flutists (with FBA Prep + more, those entering grades 9-12 in Fall 2023)
- Alla Breve Flutes Community Flute Ensemble with Dr. Francesca Arnone. Sundays in June: June 4, 11, 18, from 7-9 PM (Tuition: FREE). Open to flutists of all ages, who have played at least one year. We’ll play music with parts on a variety of levels to keep everyone comfortably engaged (distributed ahead of time), with an informal presentation on our final day! With support from Alry Music Publications
SOLD OUT FOR SPRING 2023! Shades of Broadway The Wiz with Prof. Allyssa Jones, Director of USF Vocal Ensembles: Wednesdays, 7-8:30 PM. 10 one and a half-hour classes. Each semester this course will focus on a show created by underrepresented composers on Broadway. Spring 2023 will be The Wiz; open to singers and instrumentalists of all ages and levels. Now accepting new students through February 1.
SOLD OUT FOR SPRING 2023! Beat Club for Music Production with Mr. Kenrick Wagner, Director of the USF Commercial Music Program (beat making with DAWs and Midi controllers): Wednesdays, 5-6 PM. 10 one-hour classes. High school to adult / ages 14+. Create your own hip-hop/EDM/video game beats using online sounds, digital audio workstations, and midi controllers. Learn about EQ, sequencing, and arranging sounds using industry standards. Explore how to create a business with your beats. Ten classes, beginning January 25.
*FALL 2023 CLASSES: Tampa Campus
*more to be announced!
Beginning Group Piano with Matthew Roxas: Tuesdays, 4-5 PM. 10 one-hour classes, $180. For ages 7+ (to adult). Always wanted to play piano but just never had the chance? Or have little experience, but would like to learn with a community in a positive and nurturing environment? Then this is for you! Ten classes.
University Singers, with Prof. Allyssa Jones, Director of USF Vocal Ensembles, Wednesdays, 5-6:15 PM. 13 weeks; $180. High School to adult / ages 15+. Vocal music on the Tampa campus! Introducing University Singers, a vocal ensemble performing repertoire from across cultures and styles. Within the full chorus, participants will have opportunities to perform solo and small group pieces (original music is encouraged). Rehearsals will prepare us for a big semester-end concert, as well as smaller performances on and off campus. Registration is open to all experience levels- no audition necessary. Concert (Concert Hall). Thirteen classes.
Classes fill on a first-come, first-served basis. To register, complete our interest form
FALL 2023 CLASSES: St. Pete Campus
University Singers, with Prof. Allyssa Jones, Director of USF Vocal Ensembles: Tuesdays, 3:30-4:45 PM. 13 weeks; $180. High School to adult / ages 15+. Vocal music is coming to St. Pete campus! Introducing University Singers, a vocal ensemble performing repertoire from across cultures and styles. Within the full chorus, participants will have opportunities to perform solo and small group pieces (original music is encouraged). Rehearsals will prepare us for a big semester-end concert, as well as smaller performances on and off campus. Registration is open to all experience levels- no audition necessary. Thirteen classes.
*Stay connected to CMP! Become a Community Music Project Newsletter Subscriber to hear our latest news and programs, learn about our free community events, and receive special offers.
Classes are available on a first-come, first-served basis, until filled
Private Lesson Schedule: lesson times to be arranged with the instructor and do not require an audition. Everyone may study with our world-class faculty!
- Artist-Faculty (all are current professors who are USF Faculty): $525 for 10 weeks of 45-minute lessons. For the same tuition, 8 weeks of 60-minute lessons are available.
- Instructors (all are current USF Music Majors): $300 for 10 weeks of 45-minute lessons (or 8 weeks of 60-minute lessons). No audition necessary!
Special trial term (pending teacher availability): $180 for 3 weeks of 45-minute lessons, Artist-Faculty, or 5 weeks of 45-minute lessons with Instructors
Private lessons available for all band and orchestra instruments, plus guitar, ukulele, voice, piano, pop piano, jazz piano, jazz saxophone, composition, jazz composition, theory, conducting, rapping, beatmaking, and more
Did you join our CMP Newsletter? Sign up today!