USF is a Global Research University
A University of South Florida degree can help you gain new credentials and advance your career.
Our global research enterprise, highly ranked academic programs, diverse student body, large alumni network and excellent value make us an ideal choice.
- USF is one of 56 public research universities nationwide classified as a Doctoral University with “Highest Research Activity” by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- USF ranks 8th in the nation among public universities, and 16th world-wide for granted U.S. patents among all universities according to the Intellectual Property Owners Association/NAI (2019).
- USF has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cybersecurity by CAE/IA Cybersecurity.
- USF is home to a student body of over 50,000 students representing more than 140 different countries.
- USF placed #46 among public universities in the 2021 U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) National University Rankings.
- The Princeton Review listed USF as a Best Value College in 2020 for providing students with high-quality education and career readiness at an affordable cost.
USF Has Strong Ties to the Cybersecurity Industry
The threat of cyber attack provides a huge workforce opportunity. USF, which already has a strong cybersecurity foundation, is working to expand its educational offerings, research capabilities and partnerships to help make Florida the leading cyber state.
USF's location in the Tampa Bay region, near U.S. CENTCOM and U.S. SOCOM at Tampa's MacDill Air Force Base, means USF can capitalize on security expertise in its backyard and serve the uniquely qualified veteran population.
USF provides a resource for cybersecurity expertise, training and partnership opportunities for higher education institutions, government agencies and businesses across the state. In fact, Cyber Florida, the center established by the state legislature to “position Florida and its related workforce as a national leader in cybersecurity through education, research, and community engagement,” is housed at the Tampa campus of USF.
USF provides educational opportunities through a master’s of science degree in cybersecurity, cybersecurity-specialized graduate certificates and industry-recognized certifications.