Points of Pride
Compiled by the USF Office of Decision Support
Last updated December 2019
In the region, in the state, in the nation and across the globe, the University of South Florida is making an impact. Here are just a few of the distinctive attributes that make our young, vibrant and dynamic university a leading institution of higher education.
RESEARCH AND INNOVATION
- USF’s innovation and economic development efforts generate more than $582 million in statewide impact each year, sustain more than 4,000 jobs and return more than $71 million in tax revenue to local, state and federal coffers, according to a 2019 analysis from the Washington Economics Group, a leading national firm.
- The Florida Inventors Hall of Fame (FloridaInvents.org) was founded at USF in 2013. As of 2019, 43 outstanding Florida inventors have been elected, including eight from USF.
- USF ranks 1st in Florida, 7th in the nation among public universities, and 16th world-wide for granted U.S. patents among all universities according to the Intellectual Property Owners Association/NAI (2018). USF has ranked in the top 10 among public universities for U.S. patents granted for the past nine years (2010-2018).
- USF faculty continue to earn national and international recognition. In 2018, USF faculty received 106 new external honors and awards.
- USF ranked 4th worldwide among organizations with the most Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) elected in 2019, a standing USF has held for the past five years. As of 2019, USF has a total of 73 AAAS Fellows among its faculty.
- USF is one of 56 public research universities nationwide classified as both a Doctoral University with “Highest Research Activity” and as a “Community Engaged” institution by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The title of “Highest Research Activity” is a distinction attained by only 3% of all post-secondary institutions, making USF one of five public universities in the state of Florida classified as such.
- USF is the founder and home of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI) (AcademyofInventors.org), a non-profit member organization with over 4,000 individual inventor members and Fellows spanning more than 250 universities and governmental and non-profit research institutes. The NAI’s nationally recognized Fellows program has 1,060 elected Fellows, including Nobel Laureates, U.S. National Medal of Technology & Innovation and National Medal of Science recipients and National Inventors Hall of Fame inductees. USF has 23 NAI Fellows. The USF Chapter of the NAI has over 450 USF faculty, staff, students, and alumni members, who collectively hold more than 2,400 U.S. patents.
- USF Tampa was ranked #19 among the “Best Universities for Technology Transfer, 2017” by the prestigious Milken Institute.
- USF is designated by the Association for Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) as an Innovation & Economic Prosperity University, one of only 63 in the nation.
- USF rose to #44 among public universities and #104 among all public and private universities in the 2020 U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) National University Rankings.
- USF Tampa graduate level programs continue to be ranked among the best according to
the 2020 U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) Graduate School Rankings. USF graduate programs in the top 50 include Rehabilitation
Counseling, Public Health, Library and Information Studies Programs, Health Care Management,
Criminology, Clinical Psychology, Audiology, Nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice.
- Public Health (#16)
- Audiology (#17)
- Criminology (#22)
- Rehabilitation Counseling (#27)
- Library and Information Studies (#28)
- Nursing: Doctor of Nursing Practice (#41)
- Nursing: Master’s (#41)
- Health Care Management (#43)
- Environmental/Environmental Health Engineering (#48)
- Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering (#48)
- Clinical Psychology (#50)
- USF Tampa is ranked #8 in the nation and #3 among all public institutions in the 2020 Princeton Review Best Graduate Entrepreneurship program rankings.
- USF ranks 31st among U.S. public institutions (marking the seventh consecutive year ranked in the top 50) and in the top 250 best universities in the world according to the 2020 Times Higher Education World University Rankings. '
- USF Tampa is ranked among the best in the 2020 U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) Online Education Program rankings. USF online graduate programs ranked in the top 50 include: MBA, Information Technology, and Engineering.
- The University of South Florida System is home to a student body of 50,927 students representing over 140 different countries.
- USF’s fall 2019 Freshman academic profile posts an average SAT score of 1286 and a high school GPA of 4.13, which exceeds the Florida Board of Governors Preeminence benchmarks.
- The Morsani Class of 2023 is one of the most competitive in the college’s history. With more than 5,500 applications, students had less than a 4 percent chance of getting in. This class attained an average MCAT score of 515, putting them in the 93rd percentile nationally with an average GPA of 3.76 (2019).
- According to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), USF Tampa ranks among the top 40 of the best U.S. public colleges and universities and is in the top 300 in the world (2019).
- According to the most recently published Top American Research Universities (TARU) report, USF Tampa remains ranked as a top 50 university among public institutions and is now ranked in the top 50 among all institutions (2019).
- USF ranks third among the 50 Most Affordable In-State Public Universities (AffordableColleges.com) (2019).
- USF Tampa was named one of the Top 100 Best Values in Public Colleges (#34 in-state, #15 out-of-state) by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance for 2019.
- USF St. Petersburg’s undergraduate programs were ranked no. 25 for all Public Southern Regional Universities by U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) (2019).
- In 2018, USF was awarded a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa Society, the oldest and most prestigious national honor organization in America.
- USF ranks in the top 100 of all public institutions according to Forbes’ America’s Top Colleges (2018).
- USF is ranked first in the Top 50 U.S. Financial Aid Counseling Programs by LendEDU (2018).
- USF Tampa is recognized by The Education Trust as being #6 in the nation for eliminating the completion gap between black and white students, #4 in the nation for Latino student success, and #1 in the state of Florida for both (2017).
- USF Tampa is recognized as #1 by The Chronicle of Higher Education (2017) for Greatest Improvements in 6-year Graduation Rates among 4-year public colleges and universities.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- USF won the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities' (APLU) 2019 Institutional Award for Global Learning, Research & Engagement. The Platinum Level APLU award focuses on four areas of excellence: inclusivity, internationalization of research and engagement, leadership and pervasiveness, and assessment.
- USF ranks as the top university in Florida, fifth best in the nation, and 73rd among all universities worldwide, according to the 2019 Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings.
- USF ranked #6 among public U.S. universities and #38 worldwide among all universities established in the “Golden Age” (1945-1967) according to Times Higher Education (2019).
- USF ranks among the top 50 universities worldwide and 4th among U.S. public institutions for reducing inequalities by Times Higher Education (2019). The rankings measure universities by several categories, including the number of first-generation students, the number of students from developing countries, the proportion of students and staff with disabilities, discrimination policies, and the amount of research a university conducted on reduced inequalities.
- USF is the winner of the Institute of International Education’s 2019 Heiskell Award for Access and Equity.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked USF #1 in the nation for Top Producer of Fulbright Scholars, with 12 faculty scholars for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- The USF System was home to 84 national scholarship and fellowship student awardees during the 2018-2019 academic year including Boren, Fulbright, Gilman, and Goldwater.
- USF is now a “Preeminent State Research University," as designated by the Florida Board of Governors in June of 2018.
- USF ranks #4 in student success among 1,100 public research and doctoral universities according to the 2018 Eduventures Student Success ratings.
- USF is one of seven universities nationwide and the only university in Florida to earn the Active Minds Healthy Campus Award for promoting student health and well-being (2018).
- The Institute of International Education has ranked USF 39th in the nation for all public institutions and 30th among public universities as a Leading Institution for Study Abroad in the 2017-2018 academic year, according to the most recent Open Doors annual report.
- U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) ranked USF Tampa as a Best College for Veterans (2020).
- USF ranked 1st in Florida and 4th among all four-year U.S institutions in the 2020 Military Times Best: Colleges.
- USF is one of only 15 universities in the nation selected as a Tillman Partnership University of the Pat Tillman Foundation, a selection based on innovative veteran-specific support services and proven culture of community for military families.
- USF is ranked 4th among public institutions and 5th overall in the Military Times 10 Best Cybersecurity Programs (2018).
- USF’s Muma College of Business was ranked 16th by Military Times Best for Vets: Business Schools 2016 ranking.
- U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) ranks USF 9th among U.S. public universities as a top performer in Social Mobility, which assesses an institution's success enrolling, retaining and graduating students who come from families with lower incomes and receive federal Pell Grants (2020).
- USF ranks 3rd nationally for graduate student volunteers serving in the Peace Corps (2019).
- USF Tampa is ranked 50th among public universities for social mobility, research, and civic engagement, according to Washington Monthly (2019).
- USF was recognized as a top performer in the 2019 Sustainable Campus Index as an institution of higher education dedicated to energy reduction and the development and use of clean and renewable energy sources.
- USF Tampa ranks among the Top 60 Coolest Schools for sustainability among public institutions (Sierra Club, 2019).
- USF is featured in Princeton Review’s Guide to 399 Green Colleges as an institution of higher education that demonstrates a strong commitment to sustainability in its academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities, and career preparation (2018).
- USF Athletics serves nearly 500 student-athletes in 19 men’s and women’s varsity teams competing in 11 different sports.
- USF has won 12 conference titles since joining the American Athletic Conference in 2013, including four in 2016-17.
- USF has claimed 109 conference titles since it began competing in 1965.
- Ten USF programs reached national post-season competition in the 2016-17 season.
- Nine USF programs achieved a Top 25 national ranking during the 2016-17 season.
- USF Athletics has posted a combined grade-point average over 3.0 for each of the last six academic terms.
- USF Athletics has posted a Graduation Success Rate of 80% or better for four straight years, including a record 86% in 2016.
- USF football posted its second straight 10-win season in 2017, one of just 14 teams nationally to win 20 or more games over that span. USF football has also won five of their last six bowl appearances and made nine total bowl appearances in 21 seasons, including a current run of three straight bowls.
- USF football has posted a program-record 20 straight appearances in the Top 25 rankings, finishing the 2017 ranked No. 21 in both the AP and Coaches poll. The 20 straight appearances is the longest active streak in Florida.
- USF football has appeared in three straight bowl games, nine overall in 21 seasons, and have five bowl victories.
- The USF Lee Roy Selmon Athletic Center includes state-of-the art space for academic advising, life skills, mentoring and team building.
- In the past six years, USF has invested $70 million in renovating and maintaining its athletic facilities.