Master of Education
Ready to start your application? Access USF's online application through the Office of Admissions website.
To learn more about the M.Ed. program's admissions requirements, visit the USF Catalog.
How to apply:
- Submit an application and supporting documents by the application deadline for your desired term of entry.
- Apply online through USF's Office of Admissions.
- Official college transcripts must be submitted to the University of South Florida before your first day of classes. Remember, your offer of admission is contingent upon our receipt and evaluation of your transcript. Make sure to submit official transcripts separately from all institutions attended. If we do not receive all transcripts by the deadline; a hold will be placed on your student account, which may affect your ability to receive financial aid disbursements or register for future semesters. Previous USF graduates do not need to submit transcripts of USF coursework.
- Submit GRE scores, if requested by the program, to the Office of Admissions.
Official Transcripts, Test Scores (GRE, GKT etc.) must be sent to:
University of South Florida
Office of Admissions
4202 E Fowler Avenue, SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620
Submit the following items through the USF application portal:
- Letters of recommendation: Three letters of professional reference are required. Two of the letters should be professional references from a school or district administrator/leader or faculty member.
- Statement of Intent: Please write (in a 3-5 page double-spaced statement with paper with a 1-inch margin) a description of your beliefs about leadership, values that inform your beliefs about leadership, leadership experience, and leadership goals. Explain how your leadership experience strongly relates to an aspect of the department's mission statement and/or values. Additionally, discuss the aspect of the mission statement and/or values you feel least prepared to enact and how this might affect your leadership goals.
- Resume/CV: A copy of your current resume or CV.
- Documentation of (2) years of post-bachelor’s teaching experience at the time of application.
- For those students applying to the K-12 Public School Leadership Concentration:
- Teaching Certificate: For those students seeking Florida Educational Leadership Certification, submit a colored copy of your Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate that clearly shows all borders and the state seal. We will also accept, as verification of Florida professional teaching certification, a printout from the Florida Department of Education’s Public Educator Certification Database. The printout must show that the student has a Florida Professional Teacher Certificate (a temporary certificate is not acceptable) and that the certificate is current at the time of admission.
- Documentation of successful demonstration of the core standards for effective educators outlined in the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs) and a documented track record of achieving student gains. Candidates not employed by a Florida public school district may provide equivalent documentation of two years of effective instruction with a record of learning gains.
- Proof of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) training (e.g. ESOL endorsement;
completion of ESOL certification exam plus 120 hours of ESOL district in‐service training;
or, completion TSL 5085; ESOL 1 or equivalent.)
- Note: in consultation with the program coordinator, students without this training may meet the training while in the program by enrolling in a USF ESOL Course.
Please refer to the USF Graduate Catalog for information about courses taken at other universities and the process for transferring credits.
For questions about the application process, please contact the staff contact for your desired home campus.