The CSE Broadening Participation in Computing (BPC) Award is to celebrate a faculty member who has made efforts to increase diversity and inclusion in CSE at USF. The purpose of the award is to communicate to the world the CSE department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. The award will be presented at the first Department meeting of the year. Applications will be reviewed by a committee with a focus on impact.
At this time, the award is for CSE faculty only. Award recipients will have demonstrated a thorough understanding and appreciation of diversity and inclusion issues. Example activities might include one or more of the following but not limited to:
- Conduct diversity research and scholarly activities that enhance the department's diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of diverse faculty, staff, students, and volunteers.
- Speak on behalf of diversity in order to promote an understanding of and sensitivity to diversity issues among colleagues.
- Provide or actively participate in opportunities to raise awareness of diversity and inclusion within the community in which they live, study, or work.
- Actively seek to increase their knowledge of current inclusion and diversity topics through attending related classes, seminars, groups, events, and so on.
- The 2021 award recipient is to be announced.
- the 2020 award recipient is Dr. Jing Wang for her leadership in developing the department BPC plan and chairing the BPC committee.