FAFSA applications are selected for verification by the federal processor. OFA is required to review the accuracy of the FAFSA information reported by you and/or your parent(s) and correct any discrepant data. If you are selected, we will notify you at your USF email address and in OASIS.
You must submit all required documents no later than the last date of attendance for the academic year or you will not receive funding.
If you are selected for verification after financial aid has disbursed you will have 30 days to submit all verification documents or your file may be referred to the Office of Inspector General and reported to the National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS). This could affect your ability to receive further federal aid at USF or any other institution.
There are several documents that may be required of you. They include but are not limited to:
- Federal Verification Worksheet(s). Independent and Dependent applicants must complete the online version of the verification worksheet in OASIS. Parents of dependent students will also complete and sign the parent verification worksheet.
- IRS Tax Return Transcript(s)
- For Non tax filers - W2s for each source of income earned from work
- Any other unsatisfied requirements listed in OASIS under 'Financial Aid', 'My Requirements, Bookstore Authorizations and Deferments'
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) allows you to transfer your income data directly into the FAFSA from the IRS. Use of the IRS DRT speeds up the processing of your FAFSA.
If you are selected for verification and are required to submit tax return transcripts, you may update your FAFSA using the IRS DRT instead of providing paper copies of your tax return transcripts.
The IRS DRT will be available for you to use 2 weeks after filing taxes online. Paper tax return filers will be able to use the IRS DRT 6 weeks after filing.
The entire process can take up to 10 business days to complete.
- Complete your FAFSA as early as possible and meet our priority application deadline
- Submit required documents as soon as possible. Submitting your documents on time will allow us to start the verification process sooner, and your eligibility can be determined before your classes begin
- Regularly check your USF email and OASIS so that you may see any additional required documents as soon as they are requested. If additional documents are requested, it will extend the verification processing time
If your questions is not listed, contact us.