Future Physicians and Health Care Professionals
Thank you for a great 2019 Summer. Our Summer 2020 programs will be announced this Fall. For more information, fill out the form and be sure to follow us on social media
- Non Credit
- Residential Only
- Rising juniors and seniors in high school
- Education/career related to medicine and health care
- USF Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR)
- USF CAMLS
- USF College of Public Health (COPH)/COPH Advising
- USF Digital Media Commons
- USF Division of Health Professions
- USF Health Shared Student Services
- USF Library
- Moffitt Cancer Center
- USF Pre-Medical American Medical Student Association (PAMSA)
- USF College of Nursing
- The George and Marian Miller Center for Virtual Learning
- USF College of Pharmacy
- Morsani College of Medicine (MCOM)
- MCOM Office of Student Diversity and Enrichment
- USF Writing Studio
This academically intensive, residential summer program for students entering grades
11-12 is designed to directly involve students in hands-on inquiry, discovery, creativity
and research across a broad array of disciplines that impact the human endeavor. Students
will be exposed to basic, clinical and translational research.
During the academy, students will engage with USF's internationally-recognized faculty in a variety of world-class facilities housed in USF's College of Medicine, College of Arts & Sciences, College of Public Health and Moffitt Cancer Center. Students also will have opportunities to gain insights into managing the rigors of a pre-med program at a Preeminent university and how to write a competitive application for medical school.
This program also offers a unique hands-on experience to go behind-the-scenes at the Center for Advanced Medical Learning & Simulation (CAMLS), a virtual patient care and surgery training center. Learn what it is like to train in the same environment as medical school students and engage in the same medical equipment demonstrations and realistic hands-on simulation activities. Students will be immersed in a variety of simulated healthcare training experiences such as a 3-D anatomy analysis, laparoscopic skills, and high-fidelity simulation.
To help students understand the importance of the liberal arts and creativity in critical thinking and problem solving, they will work on an interest-driven research project to develop a creative solution to an authentic problem related to the medical/health care area. The academy will culminate with a closing program where each group of scholars presents their creative solutions to parents, academy staff, and USF faculty and administrators.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills by generating their own research questions for a personal project.
- Students will develop synthesis skills by writing an annotated bibliography based on the academic literature for their topic.
- Students will implement design thinking by rapid prototyping a potential solution for their identified question.
- Students will explore career opportunities in the medical and health professions field by engaging in program activities.
- Students will develop abilities in creativity, information literacy, working on teams, literature synthesis, design thinking, written and verbal communication, problem design, problem solving, metacognitive skills, lab skills, peer review, rapid prototyping and data storytelling.