Video Gaming, Game Design and eSports
- Residential only
One session offered:
- July 26 - 31
All noncredit, residential USF Pre-College programs involve Sunday afternoon move-in with dinner provided and Friday afternoon move-out with breakfast and lunch provided.
- Grade Level: Rising 11-12
- Prerequisite: Students, who are interested in sports management, business, video game design, physics, computer science, cybersecurity, or mathematics, are encouraged to apply. This program’s admission places weighted consideration on the application essay.
- USF Office of Undergraduate Research
- USF Muma College of Business
- Vinik Sport and Entertainment Management Program
- USF Advanced Visualization Center
This six-day academically intensive residential program will provide students the opportunity to engage learn more about video game design and explore the world of eSports. This program will provide high ability and high potential students with hands-on gaming experiences while also learning the business of eSports. Students will have the opportunity to engage with USF's internationally-recognized faculty in the Muma College of Business and explore the Advanced Visualization Center. In addition, students will explore the research components of video gaming and determine how they can contribute to the current body of research.
learning outcomes: students will engage in hands-on activities and instruction to:
- Explore career opportunities in video gaming, video game design, and eSports.
- Develop college level writing skills by completing several writing intensive assignments such as an annotated bibliography, personal statement, and/or a professional email to a faculty member and/or an email to a community or organizational leader.
- Develop synthesis skills by writing an annotated bibliography based on the academic literature for their topic.
- Disseminate their work through their ePortfolio and innovative presentation platforms.
- $1,250 and it includes:
- Accommodations in Maple/Cypress Suite Residence Hall
- All Meals: Three meals are provided per day at USF Dining Halls with snacks during residential life programming included.
- Academic instruction and program oversight by USF faculty
- All Academic Materials
- USF Pre-College Gear: Drawstring Bag, Lanyard, Poncho, Journal
- Opening/Closing Session
- Residential Life Programming: Includes USF Tampa Campus Tour, Affiliates Tours, Student Mentors, Nightly Recreational Activities
- Custom OUR Backpack
PROSPECTIVE CAREER FIELDS
- Video Game Design
- Sports Management
- Cyber Security
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
- Business Analysis
- Merit and need-based scholarships are available for USF Pre-College Programs.
- 10% scholarships available to dependents of USF Alumni, Faculty, Staff.
- All students must complete USF Pre-College Scholarship Application for Scholarship considerations.
- Fill out the online Video Gaming, Game Design and eSports program application.
- Once you complete your program application, USF Pre-College staff will send you an email confirmation.
- If you’re interested in USF Pre-College need-based and merit scholarships, you can apply to these using the scholarship application link in your program application confirmation email.
- Students must submit the program application before submitting a scholarship application.
PROGRAM APPLICATION DEADLINES
- June 1, 2020 Program Application Due - ALL July & August Programs
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINES
- March 23, 2020 Priority Scholarship Review - Program Application Due
- March 30, 2020 Priority Scholarship Review - Scholarship Application Due
- June 8, 2020 Final Scholarship Application Due - ALL July & August Programs
Included with your acceptance will be the information needed to complete your registration. Since there is a possibility for the program to reach capacity prior to the registration deadline, we recommend that students complete their registration at their earliest convenience.
- Students will have supervision during classroom hours, meals, and on evenings or weekends.
- Students will follow the USF Pre-College contract policies and procedures.
- There will be a ratio of at least one staff member per max 20 students.
- The department faculty, graduate assistance, and chaperones are all background checked.
FOR MORE INFORMATION