President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship
This Postgraduate Fellowship is announced in honor of President A.P.J. Kalam. President Kalam was a strong advocate for young people and a passionate supporter of clean energy and energy independence.
He visited the University of South Florida (USF) in 2012 and is remembered affectionately by USF and the vibrant Indian heritage community in Tampa Bay, Florida.
ELIGIBLE PROGRAMS / FIELDS OF STUDY
The student award will be offered to a student who graduated from or is about to graduate from an Indian University and is seeking to pursue a PhD degree in the following subject/discipline at the University of South Florida:
- Applied Anthropology
- Applied Physics
- Business PhD programs
- Cell Biology, Microbiology & Molecular Biology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Integrative Biology
- Marine Science
SELECTION OF AWARDEES
Application for the award will be made to USF World, which will also be solely responsible for allocating the award. The Postgraduate Fellowship will recognize laudable students who graduated from or is about to graduate from an Indian university, have exceptional academic credentials, and a passion for the STEM fields of study. Applicants must demonstrate experience in his or her discipline, research productivity, and professional contributions and achievements to the field.
The University of South Florida will:
- Waive all tuition for a total of up to four years,
- Contribute a stipend of $18,000 over the nine months of the fall and spring semesters ($2,000 per month) for up to four years. The Provost's Office will pay a nine month stipend for the first year with the department/college contributing a teaching/research assistantship for up to an additional three years,
- The total stipend amount will be payable by USF once the winner of the President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship at the University of South Florida is enrolled at the university for his/her first term,
- All other costs (e.g., airfare, housing at USF, etc.) will be met by the awardee.
All candidates must have submitted a USF graduate application and established a university ID number at the USF graduate admissions portal prior to submitting the Kalam Fellowship form. Once admitted to USF the awardee will comply with all USF regulations, processes and procedures and all applicable law. Upon completion of online application, candidates must scan the following materials and email them to KalamFellowship@usf.edu in one composite PDF (please do not send .jpeg files):
- Brief letter outlining your interest in the Fellowship and your proposed area of study.
- Curriculum Vitae including your current occupation, your academic and professional experience/achievement and evidence of scholarly activity
- Statement on intended research for your PhD degree under the Kalam Fellowship
- Two letters of recommendation on academic and/or professional letterhead
- Postgraduate Fellowship Form (Download here)
The deadline to apply for the Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship is January 15, 2017. Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply to their academic program as early as possible. Admissions dates vary depending on program; be sure to check online for your prospective program. Fellowship decisions will be announced in mid-May 2017.